Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E 320 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Red face E 320 Battery

If one battery is bad are they both bad and do I have 2 battery's in a 2003 E 320?
Can I replace them with any brand?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Default Two for the price of one

Two batteries? Do you have a Diesel? I was not aware that the E320 had two batteries. Unless they moved the battery somewhere else, it's under your rear seat. Two clips on the front of the rear seat release the seat and it can easily be taken out. You will impress yourself with how easy it is to get in and out. Anyway, if you battery is indeed shot... replace it with a Mercedes battery, not some knock off. It will cost a bit more up front.. perhaps about $130, but it is going to last at least 6 years if properly maintained.

Both batteries? If you have two, I will need someone else to chime in on this one. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Ignore the last reply. There are in fact two batteries. The main supply battery is located underneath the spare tire cover on the right hand side. The other battery is a SBC (electronic brakes) backup battery located under the hood on the passenger side underneath the dust filter. Both batteries are VLRA batteries which are non serviceable and both typically only have a lifespan of 4-5 years. The sbc battery will have a manufacture date on it and chances are it will fail the test if over 4 years old. Unfortunately you cannot get these aftermarket and you are looking at 150-180 for the sbc battery and 250-350 for the main battery.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Default Additional Info

MBTech - thanks for the correction. I had no idea my 1998 E320 had two batteries. I have never heard of the one under the filter under the hood. Amazing. I wonder how I will know that it goes bad.

No matter. I stand corrected but take exception to the comment about the main battery costing $220+ dollars. I called 1 800 4Mercedes a few moments ago. They confirmed that an ONSITE replacement of my main battery would be $187.35. Not sure why your estimate was so much higher unless you work for a dealer. No matter. I hope that this person who is having battery woes makes the right decision.

Can anyone comment about the small battery under the hood? How does one know that it goes bad? Why is this batter not even mentioned in the owner's manual? Why does MB not mention it? Thanks in advance.

Scuddog

Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 AM

Dunno about the secondary battery and am also curious , and awaiting more info on that.

I go to interstate, and buy a blem battery. Cost? $35.oo, installed. I have only had problems with 1 battery from them in 20+ years of use. Those of you who are spending over $175+ for a battery are being taken to the cleaners, and getting starched .
3 things.
1) I have always gotten a slightly higher amperage battery. Being in a northern climate (chicago burbs) there is nothing worse than a hard cold start at -20 degrees outside. If my starter dies prematurely (which I doubt) so be it. When things are turning over slow in the dead of a winter morning, it's a crap shoot wether the Benz will fire up. I don't gamble.
2) the battery is under the back seat and protected from the outside elements, and should easily last the 6 years, so wether you want to believe fantasy world that a MB battery is better, I can't make that decision for you.
3) this is not a cosmetic item, since it's Under The Back Seat!!!

At $35.oo I can buy 5+ batteries for what you all are spending. Enough for my entire fleet of family cars.

Aardvark

Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Ok guys, she said that this is a 2003 e320 which is entirely different than a 1998 e320. 211 chassis vs. 210 chassis. The 1996-2002 e320 is the 210 chassis and only equipped with one 760A EN lead acid battery(standard battery) located underneath the rear passenger seat. The 211 has the VLRA battery in the trunk which is rated at 850A EN and the small backup VLRA battery under the hood which is rated at 170A EN. The batteries are non serviceable unlike typical lead acid where you have to check electrolyte levels and top-off. The VLRA battery is a glass mat, basically just like the OPTIMA batteries you find at the stores that are pretty pricey too. They are designed to recover better from extremes in temperatures and loads and will not leak like the lead acid batteries. The standard battery in the 210 chasis e320 is about 130-200 from the dealer and there is no problem with an aftermarket interstate at the same rating but there is really no aftermarket VLRA battery to fit this vehicle that I know of. By the way, batteries from the dealer are mostly remanufactured by interstate except for the aux batteries which are new.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 PM

well i am with MBTECHINFO ,i have 2003 e 320 and this car have 2 batery.I just take of the main one(located on trunk,on the right side behind emergency tire)when i took off the cables the other one(under hood) triger alarm from the car.The batery under hood is i gues for kept the memory with out the main one batery in case you have to replace.Now i read, the INTERSTATE batery works fine with no problems for this car, i have to replace the main batery but wich is the best one match for this car?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Akva
A car battery is a car battery. The car requires X amperage at 12v+(usually really reads 13+v) Wether it is a OEM or a Sears or whatever is a personal choice. The only other parameters are, does it fit, is it top or side post, and does it have posts or (like chevy) threaded into the side.
None of those things matter because the store (in my case INTERSTATE) will do the match up for you. I think my E-320 needed a 650 cranking amp battery, and I opted for 750. This is due to these cold climates. I have never had a problem with too much amperage, and in fact if you are a stereo freak, that is your first option to powering those amps. Next step is to rewind (or upgrade) the alternator for more juice.
None of this matters normally since the lights, and other options only draw the amperage they want. No More!. A starter on the other hand will take what it can get in sub zero weather, and the battery in sub zero is running at sub par amperage in the first place. SO, I want a bigger jolt on those days.

Am I wrong? So be it, but I've put up with the opposite scenario( undersized) and won't do that again.

The only reason I use Interstate, is because they are close to home, the warranty is good and the price is cheap. Even their normal (non blem) batteries are less than $100.oo , but a blemished battery has always been more than adequate.

Aardvark

Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 PM

well Aardvark i belive this gona help others and angela to decide what is best, thx for comment

Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Default I read all your jurgon my foriends

I am new to this site and I need a simple answer not all the Jurgon you put out to show off, my expert friends.

I was told by the dealer that my Auxiliry battery is bad and I am getting the warning message in my car when I start.

Dealer indicated that the price for the battery is $350 dollars.

Does any of you know, for sure, if I can get any after market batteries in Southern California, LA area. and where
Thank you

Quick Reply: E 320 Battery