Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD unlock on COMAND APS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:03 PM
paQ
Default DVD unlock on COMAND APS

Does anybody know how to unlock the DVD safety on a COMAND system?

This is about a Eurpopean 2004 E class, with a COMAND DVD system.
The DVD player only works when driving not faster then 2 km./hr.
on any higher speed, dus safety, the videoscreen will switch off. The sound can still be heard though.

this goes for operating the SAT nav aswell.
whilst driving, it is not possible to enter a destination, other then from it's memory.

the stupid thing is, I can type GSM text messages as much as I like during driving. [&:]

I have heard that this is a software matter, which can be programmed in a way it does show video aswell.

COMAND APS:

Old 12-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Default RE: DVD unlock on COMAND APS

APS systems are not the same as the actual COMAND systems... don't ask me to specifiy the differences; if I am not mistaking, APS is for navigation only (and for the older MBs without the navigation screen / maps, I think) and in your case, comand is capable of playing movie DVDs.

It is possible to override the system and be able to watch DVD (TV) while in motion. I am not sure if the MB dealership(s) can do it with their Stardiagnose, but I do know MBenzNL can do it for you...

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 12-13-2004, 05:05 PM
paQ

correct

they can

for 150 EUR

but when my car goes back for service or whatever, the car will be upgraded in software with each visit.
and bye bye to my ovrride then

Old 12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

only by using the Star Diagnosis computer that the settings can be changed. a five minute job.

for safety reason, they disable it by default.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: paQ

correct

they can

for 150 EUR

but when my car goes back for service or whatever, the car will be upgraded in software with each visit.
and bye bye to my ovrride then
If your car has to go to the dealer for service, there shouldn't be a need to hook up your comand to their Stardiagnose and 'undo' the TV while in motion feature. The only reason the dealer should hook up your comand, is when there actually is a problem with the head unit. Otherwise they have to keep away from it!

If you want to know more about this feature, contact steve@mbenznl.com. He can tell you more about this than I can. One thing, though: you say you had your comand reprogrammed for TV while in motion. Do you know how?

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 12-14-2004, 06:59 PM
paQ

ORIGINAL: BigSis

If your car has to go to the dealer for service, there shouldn't be a need to hook up your comand to their Stardiagnose and 'undo' the TV while in motion feature. The only reason the dealer should hook up your comand, is when there actually is a problem with the head unit. Otherwise they have to keep away from it!

If you want to know more about this feature, contact steve@mbenznl.com. He can tell you more about this than I can. One thing, though: you say you had your comand reprogrammed for TV while in motion. Do you know how?

greetingz,

BigSis
uhm... did I said I had a reprogram??

no...
I maybe meant people told me that once I override the safety'feature' in the COMAND, the dealer(s) warn me that tat the DVD signal will be locked again as soon as they do an update or something...

Old 12-16-2004, 11:21 AM

BS! From what I understand from my brother, and he has his own Stardiagnose system with which he can (illegally, I know) reprogramm a Euro spec comand to get TV / DVD while in motion.

And from what he has been telling me, it can be done by connecting the comand unit (!) to Stardiagnose. Why on earth would the dealer connect your comand to their Star, if all they need to do is make sure that your car gets its service...?

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 12-22-2004, 08:20 PM
paQ

really?
so why do all dealers I have contacted claim they cannot do it?

and why do others charge that much money to to a 3 minute job....

Old 12-23-2004, 06:57 AM

Because the dealers are probably reluctant to do this versioncoding. TV / DVD while in motion is prohibited in most parts of the world. [&:] But hey, you can get a screen for the passengers on the rear screen...

And why does it cost so much? Because the Stardiagnose system is very expensive, and the update CDs which have to be paid for for 2 (!) years cost quite some money as well...

If you want to know more, I suggest you take a look at this website: www.mbenznl.com. Go to the Dutch section (contact info).

greetingz,

BigSis

Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

i have the strange feeling that paQ and BigSis is the same person.

Quick Reply: DVD unlock on COMAND APS