Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Dealer is ripping me off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Default The Dealer is ripping me off.

Hi, I own a W210 E230

The Mercedes car with defects is tough but the dealership overcharging me with labor and expensive parts is too much.

I ended up surfing various forums and found out I was not alone!!

MERCEDES REPAIRS MADE THROUGH THE HELP OF FORUMS:

1) Superceded Blower motor regulator part--- DEALER SAYS: to change the entire unit with the blower etc..??? No, I just got the regulator part from a W140 and its been working for 2 years now and counting.

2) A/T Transmission Flare upshift on 2-3 -- A common defective fault of a 722.4 trans?--DEALER SAYS: an Expensive Transmission overhaul? valve body replace? --- No!! I Repaired it using a $10 part from a W126. A thrust spring kit for the valve body.

3) Squeaky Blower -- DEALER SAYS: Change the entire blower with a worn carbon? No! I just lubricated it and had an electrician change the carbon brush. its been working 2 years now.

4) Non operating compressor, EC light always on -- DEALER SAYS: Change compressor and entire dash A/C Switch plus Computer reset? No! I just had to do re-set the car's onboard computer using the A/C switches to turn off the EC switch and engage the compressor which was low on refrigerant. No cost to me whatsoever.

5) LEAKING Power steering -- DEALER SAYS: They do not repair the power steering but would only replace the entire power steering system$$$$ No way!! got aftermarket o-rings for about $1. It's been 2 years now without a single power steering fluid leak.

Thank God for these forums!! If not, I would have been suckered!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Default RE: The Dealer is ripping me off.

i get all my parts out of n.o.la.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

the dealer and customer cannot survive in that case.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:03 AM

the dealers got to play by the book ...

Old 06-18-2005, 03:43 AM

I think this is the SOP of most car dealerships. They just do it by the book and really do not prioritize how the customer can save money. Repairs are a big no-no but to replace the entire part assembly is much profitable for them.

That is why most or almost all people go to the dealers when the car is still new and just go to some other shops when the car has an expired warranty.

Some, go to the dealership to know what is wrong with the car and take the car to another shop for the actual repair if the cost of the repair in the dealership is too high. Parts and Labor, as we all know, is much higher in a MB dealership.

Even Benz, Bmw, jaguar owners have the right to save some $$ too.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 PM

"Non operating compressor, EC light always on -- DEALER SAYS: Change compressor and entire dash A/C Switch plus Computer reset? No! I just had to do re-set the car's onboard computer using the A/C switches to turn off the EC switch and engage the compressor which was low on refrigerant. No cost to me whatsoever. "

How do you do the re-set?

Old 06-20-2005, 09:31 AM

Hi,
This reset I mentioned is when your EC light is always on. This is if you have the push button type of switch for your Aircon. There are times when the refrigerant level is low, the compressor automatically shuts off. There are also times when there is a problem somewhere like the evaporator temp sensor is broken, again, the EC switch is always on.
Just try to get the error faults first using the same A/C switch. (if you don't know how, I'll send the document.) It tells you if the Refrigerant is low or the Evap temp sensor or whatever is broken in the A/C.

Anyway, this is the document on the EC light removal I got from another benz message board.

37/99-2 GROUP 83 - MODEL 210, CLIMATE CONTROL "EC" LAMP ON: *** UPDATE TO MB-NET MESSAGE NO.
220 DATED APRIL 16, 1999, DTB 17/99 ***: If you receive client complaints on model 210 of
"the EC lamp on", please check the system according to the published diagnostic and
service procedures. Check if the version coding is correct. Replace the refrigerant
temperature sensor in every case. If the refrigerant quantity, temperature or
pressure sensors are within the specified values, the low refrigerant level indication should
be switched off via the HHT or via the on-board diagnostics (P2 value) as described below.
Do not replace AAC push-button modules for this complaint.
Please note that "EC" lamp low refrigerant indication is a redundant feature.
Disabling this feature does not compromise the safety of the AC system,
because the AC compressor will switch off if low refrigerant (level) pressure is detected.
Switching of the "EC" lamp low refrigerant level detection via the AAC Push-button Control Module
can be accomplished as follows:
Switch ignition to position 2.
Set the left temperature to "HI" and the right to "LO"
Switch the ignition off.
While holding the "REST" button, switch the ignition to pos. 2. On the left side
of the display, "P1" will be blinking and on the right side, the version code is displayed.
Press the "EC" button, no change is needed for the P1 value.
Press the "EC" button again. "P2", will be blinking on the left side of the display and the value
on the right side.
Record this value. Using the right side temperature (red) button add 16 to the displayed value.
Press the "EC" button to store the updated version code.
Turn the ignition off and on again. Reset the left and right side temperatures to 72?F
(by pressing the red and blue buttons at the same time).
For warranty, please use Damage Code 83752 04.

57/99-2 GROUP 83 - MODEL 210, CLIMATE CONTROL "EC" LAMP ON:
*** REPLACES MB-NET MESSAGE NO. 461 DATED AUGUST 25, 1999, DTB 37/99 ***: On Model 210,
for conditions of the EC LED lamp on although the button has not been pressed,
please replace the refrigerant temperature sensor to resolve this condition.
The refrigerant temperature sensor may absorb moisture may cause incorrect values
to transmit to the control module causing the air conditioning system to switch off.
For warranty, please use Damage Code 83752.

There is also an earlier version of this bulletin that is exactly the same except
that it leaves out the recommendation to change the refrigerant temperature sensor.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Hello,

EC Light. I wonder if anyone can help. I have the same problem with my 1997 CL420. I have had the refrigerent topped up and checked.

If I turn ignition to position 2 then off then start engine I can turn the EC light off, but I have to do this every time I start a journey.

I tried the reset method listed but it did not work - did not see any flashing or not flashing OOP.

Any help would be appreciated - my garage tried to tell me that a new facia/button assembly was needed?

Thanks
Len