Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ch changer mag. empty

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 AM
Default ch changer mag. empty

I have an e320 2000 Recently my 6 disc cd changer stopped working. when I push the cd button on the radio, it reads MAG EMPTY (magazine empty). If I'm listening to the radio and I push the cd button, the radio will keep playing and it will read Mag Empty as if the cd changer doesnt even exist. Do you guys think it could be a fuse problem or something else. P.S. the magazine is full of cd's and the tape deck/radio work fine.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:34 AM
Default RE: ch changer mag. empty

Hi,
The CD changer is located remotely and connected via fibre optic. This signal contains "handshake" as well as sound data in digital form.

If the handshake between the units isn't successful you get codes similar to No Magazine displayed on the head unit. This code will also cause the radio to play in lieu of CD.

Therefore fibre optic must be damaged / disconnected.
Alternatively the coding (identity) in the two units has become corrupted/incorrect.

Need to trace route of fibre (under carpet!) and especially end terminations.

After a quick visual inspection of the terminastions the implest way is to get your dealer to plug Star diagnostics in and read codes.

Stuart

Old 08-24-2006, 07:42 PM

thanks for the reply. So you're saying there is no wires that connect directly from the stereo to the cd changer, it runs on remote. (I hope i dont sound to stupid, I'm still learning) Is there anyway to fix the fibre optic?

"Need to trace route of fibre (under carpet!) and especially end terminations." When you say under carpet, is that carpet in the trunk or inside of the car.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:51 PM

Might be your CD changer as well. Mechanically, I mean. Mine did the same thing and I had to manually reset it when I got the car. Sounds silly, but it might work for you. Take the changer out and open it up. Should be a big gear near the back behind where the magazine goes in. Turn the gear and it should lower the player elevator. Move the gear until it can go no further and the player elevator is at its lowest point. Put the magazine back in and repower.
Best of luck!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:57 PM

Thanks JGustin, I'll try that tonight. Just out of curiosity, is it difficult to take the changer out, do I need to take any precaution before I take it out, meaning I dont want to break anything.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:04 AM

I agree it could be the changer signalling that the magazine has not registered correctly due an internal mechanism fault.

Not sure what chance there is of correcting this unless you are very DIY. I assume you have tried reinserting the magazine several times.

Yes I believe that there are no electrical connections between the units. Just fibre optic (all input / output signals) except of course a power lead to the changer.

Has anything happened to the car recently that could have distrurbed the FO as it runs from the dash under the centre console, carpets, back seat, rear wheel arch etc? If not it is unlikely that the FO is damaged. There is however a real possibility that one of the terminating plugs has become disconnected.

Never done this but if you do remove the CD changer/FO have a look at the end of the FO lead as you try to operate the CD. I would expect that you should see a flashing light at the end of the fibres as the head unit tries to communicate with the CD. In addition once the CD is disconnected what "error" message does the head unit show. CD disconnected or No Magazine?
If disconnected then I guess changer is bad.
A MB diagnostic scan will pick up the problem without difficulty however it will cost unless you are a GOOD customer..

Old 08-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Snanceki, I did change the battery on the car a few months ago, it was at that same time the changer was going out. I didnt even think about that, that could be a problem as well, right? Because I had to take the backseat out to change the battery. Before, if I kept reinserting the magazine in the changer, it would eventually work. But I just got sick of that, because I would have to reinserte it like 10-20 times until it would work. I'm sure it would work if I did that now, but if I restart the car, then I would have to do the process all over again.
Thanks for your help, I'm going to take a look at right now, and I will give you guys a heads up on what happens. THanks again.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Snanceki, when I took the changer out I did notice a flashing red light when I tried to operate the cd changer. Also the display said NO CD CHANGER, so in this case the changer must be bad.
JGustin, I'm having trouble locating the big gear in the changer. Do I have to completely open up the changer to get to it, or can I just take the changer out and do it. I'll keep playing around with it. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 AM

Current status suggests it the SWITCH which signals that the magazine is in and CORRECTLY positioned that is bad.
This is deep inside the case of the CD changer.
Mechanism is delicate but dependent upon what has happened to the switch or the associated mechanism you may be lucky.

Good luck,
Stuart