Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD changer options for W210 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005 | 03:04 PM
Default CD changer options for W210 wagon

Hi, I am new here but not new to MBz. I am giving strong consideration to purchasing a 2002 E320 wagon with the Bose sound system. The car has no CD changer. It appears I can buy the factory part for $600. Was wondering if there are any other choices. I believe I want it to be integrated with the factory controls. Should I check eBay for used changers?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-04-2005 | 05:18 PM
Default RE: CD changer options for W210 wagon

i also have a wagon,with a changer,ebay would be a good place to look for one..you may also want a second cartridge since it only holds 6.

Old 09-04-2005 | 07:34 PM

i sold my w210 2002 with BOSE it was the best thing in my car! trust me you want regret for that it is so powerful and nice sound... i cant help you about ebay becouse i didnt touch anything in my car...i only suporting you about BOSE

sorry for my bad english

Old 09-10-2005 | 02:45 PM

Be very careful when purchasing previously owned changers (Ebay, etc). The changers made
for your model year are fiber only and are model numbers MC3198 and MC3010. The design
is not very robust and the problematic symptoms usually revolve around magazine not ejecting,
one of the six magazine trays stuck in open position......as well as connectivity problems eg
"No CD Changer" error msg, "No Magazine" error msg. The error msgs seem to be head unit
CPU related so dont toss the changer right off.

So highlighting these problems just to say that you need to be confident in the seller first,
their ability to be forthright about the condition of the changer, etc.

If youre lucky to score a used, working changer (street value about $250 is a steal.....and on
the high end, $350+) then it may be a simple and easy plug n play (like a few seconds).

If after plugging in, it balks and you get error msgs, suggestions from various owners include
- holding down the TP (tape) button while powering off/on for 30 secs
- disconnecting battery for 10+ secs (be be mindful that several appliances may need resetting)
- being sure the head unit is powered OFF first, prior to installing and plugging in changer

MC3198 is a scootch longer, side to side; has spring loaded front cover; uses larger mount (so
be sure you buy correct one for this model)

MC3010
slightly shorter (supposedly made for glove box installs also), has manual front door,
supposedly better anti-skip, and newer model

That's what comes to mind for now...on a lazy weekend.

p.s. Consider Ipod/MP3 type aux connection as an option (instead of changer) as this can
be much more cost efficient and reliable. Given the fact that the changer is so problematic,
I sold mine. But after 6 mos, I decided that if I were to sell my sedan, having that changer
available would be viewed as a much more 'complete' car so I picked one up off Ebay.

After I sold my changer, I had picked up Audio 10 plug n play, Mercedes OEM deck in Europe,
which ditches the audiocassette player and phone features, but includes single slot CD player.
Total installation time, including keying in the new radio code was 2 minutes. So I now have
front panel CD access, as well as CD changer option.

Ebay et al, caution:
- one seller sold defective changer and kept money - no help from Paypal
- one seller sold defective changer and immediately refunded money - accepted my word
and did not seek return of changer
- finally, bought MC3010 for $225, no mount, no carpet flip top - made box to fit in sedan
wheel well and carpeted myself - works and looks great

I have extra trunk mount for MC3198 if anyone needs. $25 shipped conus

Old 09-15-2005 | 11:12 AM

MC3010, I got mine from Valley Motors MB in Baltimore $385 +ship. I would shop various dealers. Caliber Motors in California advertises good pricing. The genuine article will fit the frame in the wagon size is critical since it fits into the Tel Aid frame.

Old 08-26-2008 | 02:37 PM

Just got a 3010 installed. I have a dumb question. What should I do if I want to jump from listening CD1 to CD3? I only can play the last song of CD1 then letthe head unit to switch CDS when the song is finished playing. I can't find it from the manual and the car is 99 C230

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2008 | 03:38 PM
Banned

We just hit the number of the cd slot we want played on the w210.Your controls may be different,go to the audio section on
www.mbworld.org
or the C230 section and someone will pdf you the instruction page.
ohlord

Old 08-27-2008 | 03:19 PM

Thanks!

I got the changer installed in my 99 C230 trunk. When I select CD2, 3 4, 5 and 6, I got no CD message. If I let it play the end of CD1, it will switch to CD2 slot and keep playing. What could be wrong? Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008 | 12:12 AM
Banned

You can disconnect the radio harness by removing the radio with the special radio removal keys,start the car and then hook up the radio again.Or remove the radio fuse and do the same thing.That will reset the comm link between the radio and the changer.Another way to solve it is remove all the cd's except the one in the first slot, play that cd and with it playing go back and open the changer door hit the button to pop up the cd cassette and install a few more of the cd's into the other slots and install it back in the changer while the car is still running.Sometimes that wakes it up so it notices that other cds are loaded.
ohlord