Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car overheating - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Exclamation Car overheating - need help!

Hi everyone,

This morning while on my way to work in my 1997 e420 the temp reached 90 when it normally stays at 80 even with it this hot. I saw some steam coming out and when I popped the hood, I could head the fluid under the center plastic cover like it was coming from there but not sure. Before lunch today I added fluids to the radiator fill with the plastic cap. It took a good bit of water. Then drove and it went to 90. Stopped and added even more water in it and drove back to work. On the highway it got just below 90 some but stopped at a store. Then driving it on to work it sounded like it was overheated by the engine sounds when you push on the gas. I'm letting it cool now before I look.

How much fluids go in the radiator fill container? Keep going until it won't take anymore? There is no fluid leaking anywhere and it keeps taking fluid. I do not hear or see anything from under the center plastic cover anymore. I can stop and open the hood while its running and off and still cannot see anything wet, steaming, etc.

I believe this morning it was probably low on radiator fluids and started all of this. But why didn't it happen before? Could it actually be the t-stat? How hard it that to change on this car? On a chevy i can do it with my eyes closed!

Btw, all of the fans are running.

Any help and/or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Warren

Last edited by WarrenW; 08-15-2011 at 01:42 PM.