Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon headlight gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 04:45 PM
Default Bi-Xenon headlight gremlin

2012 MB E350 A207 Cabrio Bi-Xenon Headlights 40K miles VIN WDDKK5KF5CF161680

Problem: Intermittent driver’s side headlight

Symptoms: Driver's side headlight fails unpredictably, sometimes when the car is first started but usually after 5 to 10 minutes, followed by "Adaptive Headlamp Assist Inoperative" message. The problem clears after the car sits for a while.

I am observing two failure modes:

Failure mode 1: The headlight just goes dead. Nothing happens when I go from auto to manual or pull the multifunction switch for bright lights. The stepper motor does not energize and lamp does not come on.

Failure mode 2: The lamp goes out but when switching from auto to manual it will flash momentarily and the stepper motor energizes. Same thing when the multifunction switch is pulled for bright lights. It typically progresses from this failure mode to the dead mode.

Once when the headlight was in failure mode I walked around to the back of the car and observed a really bizarre configuration of the tail/reverse/turn lights. Some lights that should be on were out and some that shouldn't be on were on. I haven't observed this again, but I honestly had forgotten about it and haven't been looking at the rear lights until today. Nothing out of the ordinary today. This is sounding like it could be a communication issue or a poor ground. I have noticed that when in failure mode, if the headlight switch in in the Auto position the headlight does not flash when pulling on the multifunction switch (hi-beam). When it is in the “On” mode, the headlight flashes when calling for hi-beam.

What I have done:

I swapped the driver’s side D1S headlamp with the passenger side. The problem did not move.

I inspected the wiring internal to the headlight as well as external.

I replaced the driver’s side control unit with a new Hella unit and had the dealer program it. They said that the system ops-checked good and that the only fault code in memory was from my installation of the un-programmed unit. I’m puzzled that there were no other codes.

Any thoughts? I have an appointment to have the dealer take another look next week.
Thanks much.

Last edited by mlonas; 02-18-2022 at 06:46 PM. Reason: replace content with more detailed info
Old 04-19-2022, 07:44 PM

Hi I have same problem I buy 2011 e350 last yeas I never repair my drive side head light, I replace the bulb but, hight head light still don't work I need to fix do you know how much cost the dealer repair, reprograming the light and replace the control module.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by e350benz
Hi I have same problem I buy 2011 e350 last yeas I never repair my drive side head light, I replace the bulb but, hight head light still don't work I need to fix do you know how much cost the dealer repair, reprograming the light and replace the control module.
Replacement of my headlight assembly cost around $2000. The part was $1500 and labor $500. My control module was not bad. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2022, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by mlonas
Replacement of my headlight assembly cost around $2000. The part was $1500 and labor $500. My control module was not bad. Good luck!
Thanks l ready fix in MB dealer cost me 2.800 parts and Labor.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:51 AM

Wow, that is a lot. I didn't know about this before and I am glad I found your post. I was actually searching for this https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/cars/ website online and when I was searching for it online, by mistake I clicked on your post.

Last edited by LulaWeaver; 09-20-2022 at 08:50 AM.