Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery, or?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Default Battery, or?

I drove my car a short distance, and as I was slowing down to park, the radio went off and the SRS light came on. I parked, and when I came out later, the car would not start, there was just a clicking noise. But, the lights came on.

I took it in. The mechanic said the battery was marginal and that short trips would not allow it to get fully charged. He said on short trips I should not use the radio or anything extra. I didn't want to go through all that and got a new battery.

I drove 120 miles one way, parked the car and left it for four hours. Then, I got back in, drove it about 40 miles, parked and went in for a 1/2 hour. Drove another 15 minutes, parked and went in somewhere else for 45 minutes, then started back home. About 15 miles down the interstate, the radio went off and the SRS light came on. Remember this is now on a new battery. I turned the radio and headlights off, and the SRS light went off. I thought I'd be ok if I left those off. I drove the remaining 70 or so miles without the headlights or the radio. When I got off the interstate in my town, the SRS light would come on when I slowed down. I made it home, turned it off, and tried to restart it and it was totally dead.

While driving on the interstate, I opened a window, and when I was pushing the button to open the window, the ABS light dimmed while I pushed it. That light is always on as the antilocking brakes are now manual brakes. They are fine, but not antilock any more.

Any help is appreciated.

Melli.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned
Default RE: Battery, or?

Your voltage regulator is bad.or the alternator.Call roadside assistance they will come out for free and diagnos the problem.Or charge it over night and drive it to an auto electric shop and have them check the voltage regulator and charging system.If you read in the owners manual when battery oltage drops below a certain level all the symptoms you state will happen.Something is wrong with the charging system,usually a bad oltage regulator so no need to replace the whole alternator just the voltage regulator.
any good auto electric shop should be able to do the repair.
ohlord

Old 04-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Battery, or?

Charging circuit = alternator - Marginal output.