Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy my 1st E-class and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Default About to buy my 1st E-class and have some questions

Hi, Newbie here. About to purchase my first Mercedes E-Class. Until now i've been a hard core Audi, and BMW person so am now ready to try a Mercedes. A few questions.

The car i'm looking to buy is a 2003 E500W with only 14K miles on it.

1. What does the "W" signify? I have no clue

2. Is there any websites that can show all the technical specs and options that were available on this car for this year? I have no idea what it comes with and the dealer doesn't either. (not buying from an Mercedes Dealer).

3. Anything I should watch out for or check on? Any advice is appreciated as I know nothing about this model car.

Thanks in advance! I actually have a million and one more questions but will try to search for the rest.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Default RE: About to buy my 1st E-class and have some questions

well the W means sedan. very nice car I like the 211 body E class especially with the V8. you could have issues with battery light on dash or consumer offline messages in cluster. the car has a 2 battery set up and was not that good in the 2003 most of that stuff is worked out now though. you might have audio complaints too no sound intermittently and sometimes will act like it has a mind of its own. doesnt get the the best gas milage either but I think its worth it. fun to drive, does have the electonic brakes that some people dont care for but if you a driving enthusiest you will like it. sytem is called SBC can be a little noisey, like buzzing sound once in a while. car does have "soft stop"which will release the brake right at the end of a hard stop to prevent body jerkage, also will keep rotors dry in the rain by pushing the brakes pads agianst the rotor at a specific time frame when the wipers are on. I believe benz calls that "dry braking" just a safety measure to help shorten stopping distances. some cars come with panoramic roof which is nice but have seen some complaints in the past. car has abience lighting on the interior overhead which you can control the britness of the lights, mood lighting for the nite time pretty neat.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 AM

Thanks, I picked up the car today. Its great! But I have this Brake Service Message on? What is that about? Anything to worry about? I don't have time yet but will take it to the dealer soon. Is it safe?

I also here a slight ticking noise from the engine?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 AM

not sure, if it is red in the cluster its a problem, white then maybe not to bad. what does it say exactly?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Ok this is what is displayed inmy instrument panel. It comes and goes but comes on at least once a day. Should I worry about this?

Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 AM

good morning its really hard to say what it means but i reccommend going to the dealer. since it has SBC system only the benz dealer can tell you whats wrong. there are numerous campaign repairs and recalls on that brake system there is also a 50 % brake wear sensor on the left front. they have red and white displays and red is urgent.