Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 E320

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Default 99 E320

Hello, I'm going to look at a 1999 E320 Wagon tomorrow (2-20-08). The owner says it has 111k mileson it, and has all maintenance records. The price is $7800. Is this about right? I have no clue. I've been going through the forum to see what type of problems I should be looking for. I see that there are some recall issues, etc. Is there anything that seems to be a repetitive issue with the vehicle?
I currently have (not for much longer) a 1998 Volvo XCV70. I just found that the $250 oxygen sensors need replaced, the radiator has a small leak (they want to replace, w/hoses, etc.), it needs a $400 tune up, and the catalytic converter may be clogged. By the time all of this is done, I'm approaching the value of the car. I haven't even asked about the rattling in the frontend (sounds like a busted strut).
Is this the same type of situation I could get into with the E320? I haven't filled the mechanic position much in the past. I've changed oil, etc., butno major maintenance. I do think that I could perform some decent work if I had the right instructions.
Anyway, anyassistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Default RE: 99 E320

Welcome to the forum Mike -

I'm sure you know there's no guarantee when buying a used car. Things break eventually and that could be next week or next year. From everything I've read on these forums and my own experience, the E320 Wagon is a pretty reliable car. The following is a list some problems some owner's have had:

1 - Rust on spring perches of front suspension. MB coated them with mastic but if water gets underneath there's rust and this could lead to failure. Mostly on cars owned in the north.

2 - Some of these models have a harmonic balancer on the crankshaft that can deteriorate. MB has a recall campaign and the repair is free. Most cars as old as this one have already had it done. No charge to have the dealer take a look.

3 - Motor regulator on rear windows.

4 - Rust around door sills and underside of doors.

5 - Light bulbs. Mostly tail, brake and license plate.

1999 and 2000 are considered by some to be best years for this model. The price you mentioned is very good if paint and interior are in nice shape.

MB are expensive to own if you must go to dealer for every little thing. Operational cost goes way down if you can do routine things yourself. Just use MB approved fluids and filters. You'll find links out here to buy genuine MB parts at much less than dealer. There are also detailed DIY postings (with pictures) to cover most of the repairs a Saturday afternoon mechanic might want to tackle. Gas mileage should be about 18 mpg around town and mid 20's on highway.

Before buying mine I drove wagons by BMW, Audi and Volvo. Once I drove the MB I stopped looking at everything else. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Thank you for your quick reply and detailed input. It seems I have a few things to weigh out. I know there are never any guarantees with used vehicles, but I do believe odds can be distributed a little more proportionately when given the right information. It is your type of advice that I can apply to the decision making process.
I basically want to find a good, reliable, car for my wife (and for the winter seasons). I am beginning a Doctorate program in the fall, and we just need something to get us through the next 3 years (basically, on her income and any left over money on my GI bill). I have a Nissan Maxima I bought new (years ago), andit ispaid for. That will be my back and forth vehicle (infrequent and cheap maintenance).
The gamble lies on: if the Mercedeswill be low maintenance (w/ little driving), or if repairs will approach the value of the vehicle (as my current situation). This we couldn't afford. Option "B" will be leasing a new Jeep for $200 per month. At the end of 3 years, this will be around the same as dividing the price of the Mercedes into the same 3 years. If the Mercedes proved to be dependable, then no sweat. However, most of the problems that could arise with the Jeep would be covered under the lease (tempting). If I look at the end ofthe 3 years as "terminal" (i.e. no recoup on investment - worst case)I have tolook at how much the vehicle will cost for just the 3 years. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
With all of that extra information, I knowyour first reply stands (ha!).

Thanks again...

Old 02-19-2008, 02:10 PM

The key toeverlasting peace of mind with any MB is proper maintenance
and using the recommendedfuel (Usually it is Premium quality).They are
built to last long.

I have a 1991,190E,2.3 and have no problem itso far. Since I bought it
used in 2005, I have put 45K miles on it.

Use Merc.as a Merc., not like any other brand.

All the best!!!

Regards

Syed

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Great cars,get him down to 7500,get the transmission serviced,get a professional inspection
inspect inspect inspect....Where are you located? get it inspected did I say inspect?
As above roll down the rear windows,check the dash pixels,check all the lights,Check that the harmonic balancer was done if it applied to your chassis number,talk to the owner ask him about the car gab a bit and find out how he cared for it,then take a good test drive on the way to having it INSPECTED.make sure they have clear title.
go to the tips section of benzworld.org w210 section for more and also read the diy section to see if regular maint items is something you want to tackle.

parts www.autohausaz.com and others
always ask first if you have a problem,never go to the dealer,find a good indie shop if over your head with any repair.
111k is nothing if it has been maintained properly
INSPECT!!!!!
ohlord

Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: teufel hunden

I basically want to find a good, reliable, car for my wife (and for the winter seasons).

Thanks again...
I forgot to mention the E320 scored 5 stars on side impact test and 4 stars on front impact so it's a pretty safe car as well.

I also forgot to mention that MB will provide road side assistance for jump start, out of gas and flat tire free of charge even if you purchased the vehicle used.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Wow! After all of these positive replies, I am really hoping this car ends up being a deal I can't refuse. OK, let me see if I have it:
1) INSPECT, INSPECT, INSPECT. 2) Safety is at the top of the list. 3) Learn to do some maintenance, 4)and Premium Unleaded. Got it.
Seriously, thanks for all of the input. It will definitelyhelp.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

Don't forget to have it inspected front spring towers by a pro.
ohlord