Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 300E suddenly wont start!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Default 88 300E suddenly wont start!?

GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad");

I just recently bought a 1988 300E 3.0 L6 Automatic. It has been starting and running fine for the past month since I have had it but all of a sudden it has ceased to start anymore.

The last thing that happened before it quit I was comming home from a friends house with an 1/8 of a tank of gas. At first the following day when it wouldn't start I assumed it was due to either low fuel or maybe water in the line. So needless to say I put 5 gal of premium gas in it and tried starting after priming the fuel system with the key (turn to on for 10 secs to let fuel pump prime line, repeated several times). It kicked over for 2 seconds then shut off. I tried again and it ran for 10 more secs and quit. Nothing after that.

It seems if I let it set over night, or for a couple hours at least, and try to start it again it will fire for a good 5 secs and quit. Then not start.

Starter is spinning normal, no codes on the computer, half of a tank of fuel.

someone please help!!

Thanks a bunch
chris

Old 12-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Default RE: 88 300E suddenly wont start!?

I'm no expert, but the first thing I would check is the fuel filter. With more gas in the tank, the pressure may have been high enough, but once low, not enough to pass a clogged filter. Once pressured up by running the fuel pump to 'prime' the system, the gas slowly leaks through the filter. After sitting, enough gasseeps through to start the car, but then it immediately stalls when the seepage runs dry.

Okay. I have no idea, but I like this one. Check your filter first.

-M

Old 12-21-2008, 11:04 AM

Could be the fuel relay as well. I had similar problem. Stalled every 10-15 seconds.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 PM

First of all let me start by saying thank you for replaying..

I have had another person reccomed the fuel filter replacement aswell. Being that its fuel injected the fuel pressure can raise hell im sure with starting and running. Still have yet to even find that thing. Something else I was concerned with was possible vaccumn leaks. There are sooo many vac lines I wouldnt even know where to begin to look.

As far as relays that was a possible concern for me aswell, even thoughIhave never experienced a relay cutting in and out. At least with domestic ones. Usually once they are power switched they stay as such until powered off again. Locating the specific relay that controls that pump seems might be a bit of a task. I can't seem to find any labels for them and worst of all I cannot locate a repair manual from anywhere.

Any other possibilities? Or does anyone know where I can locate a guide and/or a good place to purchase mercedes relays?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM

I'd go with the fuel filter thing....classic fuel filter problem...at least start there...good luck

Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM

The fuel filter should be located under the car just ahead of the right rear wheel. You'll have to remove a cover to get to it. It sits next to the fuel pump.

I can't think of a reason to do anything before replacing the fuel filter, unless you know how many miles it's been in service, and the numberis reasonable. Also, if the car sat for an extendedperiod of time with no or low gas in it, rustmay have developed in the tank. That will clog a filter faster than anything else ( and continue to clog replacement filters). It is the cheapest, easiest, most obvious first step, andone you can take care of yourself.

But, of course it's up to you. If you have another car to drive, I suppose you could postulate forever.

Good Luck!

-M

Old 12-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Its funny that you should mention that car sitting up. With the way the electronics act on the interior I have always thought that at some point it sat somewhere. I put a fuel system cleaner in the car not too long ago and it could very well be possible that rust could be present. Thats something I didnt think about so thank you very much for that idea. Now that I know where the filter is Ill go ahead and do that, thanks a bunch!!!