Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 300E ENGINE SURGE

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Default 87 300E ENGINE SURGE

Hi:</P>

My 300E has 150K miles on it. Recently I've noticed that when I strted the car it runs smoothly until I increased the speed to 15-20 miles per hour I felt the car would hestate then surge but run smoothly afterwards. It does not happen all the time and if I increase the speed gradually and slowly the hestation is not really noticeable. Also, when Idrive downhill, I tend to shiftinto low gear in order to save the brake wear (not sure if this is a good idea). recently,after I shifted the gear toposition 2, dove a very short distance I hearda tremendous engine noise surge but back to normal as soon as I shifted the gear back to drive. The above instances do not occur all the time, I'm concerned if this is somthing wrong with the transmission? Should I have it checked immediately before it gets worse and really messes up?</P>

Another problem, my crouise control does not work all the time. Do youthink the switch could be bad? If so, should I try to get a aftermarket one and have it installed?</P>

Thank you all a head of time for your advice.</P>

DL</P>

Old 03-21-2004, 07:57 PM

I have the similar issues with my 1989 300E but have been informed that it has to do withfuel problem. They have not been able to locate yet but I also thought it was a trans. problem also.</P>

</P>

Please let me know if you locate the problem. I will do the same once/if they can find the issue's.</P>

Old 03-22-2004, 06:02 PM

Thank you, Mike. Indeed, let's keep in contact if new tips come up. I've just found one:</P>

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=89653</P>

Check it out and see if it works.</P>

DL</P>

</P>

Old 03-26-2004, 04:34 PM

Hi:</P>

Yesterday, I told the above problems to a shop who is specializing in fixing Mercedes and selling parts and the guy said my problem is the transmission. He would rebuild and install the transmissionfor $1,850.00. Of course, a new transmission would cost about 5K. He also said that a Mercedes Transmission would last about 150-200K miles, my 300E has almost 150K on it. Here are my questions:</P>

1. Is the shop person's opinion make sense? He seemed to be an O.K. guy and knows his stuff.</P>

2. The problems that I decribed are only <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">nuisance and I don't mind coping with it until I have to. I know if it's indeed a transmission problem and it will getworse but what could be the worst if I keep it going for a while?</SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">3. I'd like to keep the car for another 50K miles and that would make the car 200K miles young. Do you think the tranmission will last that long with current problems? </SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">4. According to the shop guy when the car reachs 200K miles I will have to get a valve job done to the engine and that would cost another $2.5K, is he correct? </SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">5. So, when the car reachs 200K miles mark and if I had the transmisson and engine done, I should be able to keep the car for anothe 150K miles which would make the car lasted through 350K miles if I don' t die of old age first, is it possible?</SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">6. Let's talk $$ and sense. The car is being sold between 5k to 10K in some ads here. In order to keep this car going, I'd have to pump in 2K to have the transmissiondone in order to keep it for at least 50 K milesand another5K to stretch the car beyond 200K miles, and these are only the major repairs. In the meantime I'm nervous about all the motorised components, such as moon roof, seats, windows, etc. which might quit at any time because of the age factor.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Please advise, thank you.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></P></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">DL</SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"></SPAN></P>