Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 E500 battery light on and push start not working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Default 2004 E500 battery light on and push start not working!

Recently, I left my lights on on my 2004 E500 and the battery died. I had to jump my battery to get the car started. Took the car into to get the battery check. The battery and alternator are both good. But I have a battery light that pops up and now my push button start won't work? Do I have to take this to MB and get this service? Anybody got some help how to fix this issue? they say it maybe a weak remote battery of some sort that I have to replace? Where is this other battery located?

thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned
Default RE: 2004 E500 battery light on and push start not working!

you have a secondary battery,back up to the main system.It is in your manual for info and located in the engine bay.Did you just jump it or after you had it started did you get it on a proper charger and charge the battery overnight?trying to charge a dead battery with just running the car will not do a good job and leave you with a chronic weak battery problem and the symptoms of which you speak.
oihlord

Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM

I jump started the car with a portable batteryjumper and ran the car for about 30 min and everything was fine. Except for the fact that the battery light is still onand the push button to start the engine does not work. I got the battery and alternator checked out at auto shop, they said it was fine. Were they wrong? Do I need to charge the battery? If I take the battery out won't I have all sorts of problems?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Charge the main battery using the instructions in the owners manual.There should be a charging post under the hood of your model,charge it overnight at 10 amps.No need to remove the battery.
Auto shop missed something if the battery light comes on.Charge it fully and see how it responds then there are more things to do if it does not clear it up.
ohlord
you do have an owners manual don't you?
always charge with key out of ignition

Old 03-20-2008, 12:38 AM

Follow ohlord advice first.

Car is now 4 years old and battery is getting towards end of life.
How did the garage check the battery?
Did they use a straight voltmeter or with a "special" high discharge meter.
Everything points to battery or alternator.
IMHO recharging batteries is not a good solution. Once volts have gone below 12.5 the battery is permanently damaged. However, it may continue to work to some extent post a recharge but MB's are very sensitive to voltage both high and low due to the variety of on board computers and "strange" things happen when volts are outside of tolerance.
If you want your reliability back I suggest that a battery change may be the solution.

Stuart

Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 AM

First of all thanks guys for all your help.

I ended up going to Sears to get the battery check it out, they said the battery is strong and there was no need to replace it and the alternator was also good. Everything works fine, it's just that the push button start doesnt work. Can the battery get damaged by leaving the headlights on for one day?

Yes I do have the owners manual. Where do I go to get a battery charger? Do I charge the auxillary battery under the hood or the main battery in the trunk? I am a bit confused. Which battery could cause this problem?

I'm beginning to think that it's better to just take the car in.