Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 E320

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Default 2001 E320

Hey everyone, I need some tunes in my new (to me) E320 '01. Not sure if I have Bose system, it only has Bose label on rear speakers. I have no changer in trunk for some reason and need eitherIpod and/orcd installed. If you can help me please let me know what my options are. Can I install a complete new ipod/bluetooth receiver without gutting my bose system or spending ton of cash? Can I run an Ipod input from the rca's where the changer would be? Please help, thanks.

C

Old 04-22-2007, 03:31 AM
Default RE: 2001 E320

I have the same situation with my 2000 E320. The easiest way is to buy an original CD changer for the trunk and install it yourself (the car is ready for this, no problem to install.) BUT, I do not like the idea of a changer in the trunk and do not want to spend $500 on it.
A completely new system can be installed, of course, but it will cost a lot and I'm actually afraid to mess with everything there.
I think I'll go with a cheap and simple solution: I'll just buy a cheap radio with CD player and install it under original radio (in that storage compartment under the radio.) I'll not even conect it to antena, only to power and speakers and use it as a CD player only. It will not work with sound controls on the steering wheel, but it's OK with me.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Default RE: 2001 E320

dont know which model and which country so let me jump in with my experience....

USA models should have changer cables installed from the factory. this would include 1 black twin
power lead, and 1 orange twin fiber optic lead. non USA models are not known for having the
changer leads installed unless done as an option after it leaves factory.

If your current head unit is what i think it is, ie model Audio 30 (google it for pics) , then it has
audio cassette. you can install a converter into the tape drive and use that connection as your
AUX IN to patch in your Ipod/MP3 player through the mini-plug.

some folks, wanting a cleaner install, will pull the head unit, install this adaptor, and route the wire
through the back so that the cord doesn't show after installation.

some folks have also used a patch/hack....and hard wired AUX IN lead direct to the circuit board
of the head unit. the plans were posted on MBWORLD over a year ago.

Currently, I have an Audio 10 head unit. this is absent the audio cassette drive and in its place,
a single CD slot is available via front panel. no need to leave the seat. in addition, it continues to
use the FO to the rear CD changer in the trunk/boot.

I am still looking for a method to install an AUX IN w/o paying $2-500 for those attachments I
see on the Internet. I have a PDA with MP3 capability and want a simple 1/8" AUX IN plug.

It is possible to swap out head units....in a Bose....w/o incurring huge cost. So says this post...

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...highlight=bose