Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 things please. flat battery and ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Default 2 things please. flat battery and ticking

I have 2 questions, hope someone knows, first one is.. i am leaving my E320 CDi for 2 weeks while I go away, Im sure it wont get a flat battery but if it does I have heard that I can not just start it as if the battery goes flat/disocnnescted it wipes codes in the computer meaning it needs to go to MB for recoding, is this true please??

2nd things is, I have noticed when i pull away i hear some random ticking noises, sometimes it sounds like a slight exhaust leak (like when the manifold is leaking) it has always done it in the 3 months i have owned the car but the machanic has looked at it 2 times and found no problems... recently i have seen an S320 CDI and today another 2003 E320 CDI pass me and BOTH of them had the same ticking noise also.. Does anyone know what the blimmin ell it is ????????? ( im guesing it may be common) ???

Many thanx Mike & Anne

Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Default RE: 2 things please. flat battery and ticking

If battery goes completely dead you do loose memory settings e.g. Radio Code.

This doesn't require the car to go to the dealer so long as you have your code.

It may also be necessary to turn steering lock to lock to recentralise steering sensor but this is covered in the handbook. Likewise sometimes the windows and sunroof. no big deal.

Lots of mystique and incorrect info about this.

Stuart.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

Traveling?You can (very inexpensive) buy a trickle charger at any good auto parts store,you hook up as instructed to the pos post under the hood,and a good ground,maintains the battery,no fear of flat condition which is death to long battery life,and you wont have to set radio codes ,sync windows and the rest.
ohlord

Old 09-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Mike & Ann,
You didn't say what yr the car is. I have a '97 E300D and have had the battery die w/o the necessity of reprogramming settings. There's also (at least on mine; I don't know about newer models) a post under the hood (bonnet, for you) for jump starting so you don't have to take out the seat to connect jumper cables to the battery. I'm assuming the battery is under the rear seat as it is in my '97.
Enjoy your holiday.
Kurt

Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 AM

hi guys
Thank you for your replies, we have a 2004 320 CDI to be honest i dont think i even know where the radio code wud be lol, im hopeing it wont g flat in just 2 weeks of sitting there... well we will see I guess. I have to get myself a spare key to, i only have one, im worried of loosing it, beaking it or the battery going flat to. Any one have any ideas about the ticking noise?? Thank you Mike and Anne