Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 E420 locking problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Default 1997 E420 locking problems

I'm very new to this forum and to Mercedes in general. I purchased a 1997 E420 from a friend that hit a curb and broke the radiator.It sat for approx 4-6 months and when I went to pick it up it started right up and I drove it on the flat-bed.I'm finding problems now. The locking system does not work I cant lock the doors with the key or remote I hear something that sounds like it's trying but never works..for doors,windows, or trunk. If I hold the button it will put the windows up or down but no lock. Also the drivers side headrest does not work..passenger's seems ok.Light's work (interior) the fade out and all.I think my starter has locked up now as well or could this all be caused by a low battery?It just clicks once and wont engage the bendix.It seems like a really nice car and I have researched this site for answers but could not find one that addresses my symptoms directly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 PM

first thing to check is the door jam switches. if the door jam switch is broken the doors wont lock and car will think the door is open. check all 4 door jams, they also control the interor lighting.
could also be fuses, check all your fuses. could be your PSE pump, either in the trunk or under the back seat, not sure off hand.
the starters on benzes are bullet proof, very rarely go bad. so make sure you got proper voltage. could also have something to do with a dry flyheel. was a problem on earlier E classes

Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the great advice ..I checked all the door jam switches and they look almost new..on this particular model I only have 2 keyhole entries...the driver door and the trunk..there is no other place to put a key and the interior lights work perfectly.I have defusalated the battery and now have it on a slow charge (4.1) so it will at least a few hrs. before I can try anything with the starter. I am not familiar with "dry flywheel" what does that mean? Could any problems rise from a low battery in the key? Pse pump is under the back seat. How can I tell if it has a problem? the doors make sounds like they are locking and unlocking but nothing happens.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 AM

key battery has no effect on car starting. the security ignition system works on passive key.
first thing is to ensure nice, strong car battery so be sure that is fully (not mediocre) charged.
verify that it is healthy and works under starting load (high amperage). verify that the
specific gravity is in the green. be sure electrolyte level is above the tops of the plates
before charging.

it is *not* sufficient to charge based on time. you must also check specific gravity. it is
not unusual to charge for days if the battery was in very poor condition to begin with.

MBs are notoriously power demanding and unforgiving if car battery is less than healthy.

(oops, i presume too much) do you have switchblade key or Smartkey?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 AM

The battery is not an issue at this point. It has been reconditioned and works perfectly.I understand the MB starters are very long lasting..however right before it decided not to work I turned the key and heard it spin...next start..just a click. I'm convinced I need a new starter...that is no problem. My issue is the locking system. the central locking switch on the dash does not work. The switchblade key will put all the windows up or down, set the alarm,but it will not lock..again it makes a sound when it attempts but nothing happens (no lock or unlock) all interior lights work perfectly,door jamb switches all look new and seem to be in perfect working order. The car has 134000 on it and seems really nice.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Now both the green and red lights on the rear view mirror are flashing at the same time..still wont turn over (with a new battery) starter just clicks and wont engage.No locking with the key or remote...I'm getting ready to call the junk yard on this one.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 PM

The battery problem wound up being a rotted main power wire under insulation on the pass side floor board,But I still have the central locking issue and an srs light. could low brake pads on the front set off a srs light? and please if anyone can help on a procedure to check this lock system and find out whats wrong please share..Thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Default Rear window would no go back up

Hi,i recently rolled all four of my '98 E430 windows down but the rear passenger side would not roll back up,any suggestions on what to look for when i take down the door panel guys?thanks in advance.

Archie

Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by zaroths
The battery problem wound up being a rotted main power wire under insulation on the pass side floor board,But I still have the central locking issue and an srs light. could low brake pads on the front set off a srs light? and please if anyone can help on a procedure to check this lock system and find out whats wrong please share..Thanks

ok try this. first lock and unlock the door with the key blade. and within 20 seconds put the key in the ignition and turn to position 2....right before starting the car. this is how your supposed to learn a new remote.try your locks again and see if that did anything. if not try this...

hold the key up to the rearview mirror with the driver door closed and press the remote locking/unlocking button 2 times. you should get get both lights to flash intermittently. if not try again. also make sure remote batteries are correct and good.

you can also remove the 3 fuses for central locking...under the rear seat this will reset you pump for the locks.