Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Default Water Leak

Last night there was quite a downpour, and the passenger side footwell, all got wet. Left hand side.

I did notice a crack in the windscreen last weekend, on that side, and I origninally thought that the water may have entered from there.

However, when I pulled out the carpet to dry it, I noticed water under the glovebox, and water was in the fan chamber. Perhaps the water came via the vent air inlet. If it did, shouldnt there be something to stop it, or could some drain be blocked?

Old 09-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Water Leak

I experinced the same with my BMW and it was the Heat exchanger for the heater. There is a small radiator behind your console that circulate the the engine hot water and the fan blows air thru. That's how you get heat inside the car. You may have a leaky heat exchanger. Check your radiator water level and if it's geting low. That's the problem. Find someone that works on european air conditioning systems. The dealer charges double. On the case of my BMW was $600.00 outside and $1200.00 0n the dealer.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:29 AM

Sounds like you have a blocked drain. There is a rubber hose drain from the fan box which exits through the firewall. hey sometimes get clogged with debris.

Tom

Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 AM

Thanks for that, I'll have a look for that drain. I didnt see it when it was all apart. I have changed the windscreen, and after some rain on the weekend, no leak.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:14 AM

just to follow up, keep checking for water.. hopefully you found problem. I had same prob and let it go too long, what happened ws leaves clogged my drains and then water was running differently instead of just draining out. This caused short in blower motor and was making me fan stay on even with car off.. Its a dumb stupid little problem like a clogged drain which can cause such a big problem like shorting a blower motor...only in a benz i guess... btw, dealer fixed it and said thye get alot of probs with the drains... service manager told me actually they can and usually do install a slightly bigger set of drains to help problem as well as cleanign out everything but good luck if you're not under warrenty

Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 AM

It's not a rare condition perhaps. The use of radiators transfers heat from the coolant to the air. Radiator also pumps liquid that is a mixture of water and ethylene glycol or antifreeze. Liquids gets circulated repeatedly within the radiator and engine area to take away heat. Maybe the liquids are not circulated properly that results to water leak. BMW radiator is made up of durable materials that last long and provide cooling power.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 AM

I own a CLK200 (year 1997 but low mileage 50,000) and I am now encountering the same problem, i.e. water in the front passenger footwell (the rear carpet is also soaking wet).

I have now removed the carpet in the front passengerarea and I found excessive amounts of water on both sides of that footwell. The carpet and the foam under it were soakingwith water.

My first suspicion was that the water was entering via the passenger door (thebotttom (slider) rubber seal for the window is rather old !) but when Ipour water on that window I can see no obvious leak.

I have also tried pouring water on the windscreen to see whether the problem was there. This water seems to escape into the area at the rear of the wheelwell - I have yet to remove the panelling there is see how exactly it gets there (is this supposed to be via some tubing ?).

Having just used the car again (in the rainy conditions we are now experiencing !). I have found evidence that there is a lot of water around the base of the passenger door; however I cannot see how any of that would enter the car because of the entry step into the vehicle.

I would appreciate any details of how any water entering via the door window seal or the front screen is supposed to exit the vehicle.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:44 AM

I have the same problem with my CLK200. My girlfriend had it with her car, mechanic said it was leaves in the vents and cleaned them out, problem solved. Sounds like this can happen on the CLK too, no?