Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

steering wheel paddles

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Default steering wheel paddles

Am in the market for a 07 CLK550 Cab or a 06 CLK500 Cab. Not too much difference between the two, of course except for the incredible engine in the 550 (don't know if I "need" the 550 engine, but of course I lust for it!). Anyway, I was wondering if any of the techies in the group knew whether the shift paddles in the 07 could be easily addapted to the 06. Also, for those of you with the wood steering wheel (which looks greast but gets really hot in the sun), do you miss the option of having the shift buttons on the back of the wheel, of is this a non-issue? For those with either the paddles or buttons (please specify which) how often do you actually use them. TIA for your help. This is a great forum and I appreciate your expertise and opinions.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Default RE: steering wheel paddles

The 550 engine is really amazing. Really a big leap in power and noticable in every way.

I have a 2007 CLK. The paddles on the 2007 cars are nice big butterfly F1 style paddles and really nice to use. Much better than the smaller buttons on the older AMG's. I saw some AMG 63's at my dealer. The AMG's I saw had nice chrome butterfly paddles.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 AM

Thanks for your response. I meant to say I'm in the market for either a 07CLK550 or 06 CLK55 AMG. When using your paddle shifters, does the 7 speed "wander" as some of the reports of the early 7 speeds seem to indicate, or does the shifting seem relatively (after all it is an auto) quick and precise (for daily non-track driving)? Also, for those that have actually driven the two (year 07 seven speed vs. the 5 speed AMG), is there a noticeable difference in drivability?

Old 09-20-2006, 02:03 AM

I had a CLK320 5 speed and tested a CLK55 with a 5 speed. I was planning on getting a CLK55.

The CLK550 with 7 speeds shifts almost transparently. Wacking the paddle or the shifter creates an instant downshift without any jerk or delay. I don't know if this is new on the 7 speed. I don't remember reading about this or trying it on the 5 speed, but if you hold the downshift paddle longer, it will downshift to the "optimum gear for acceleration or braking" Ive tried it and it works nicely without any jerks. Nice touch. I haven't noticed ANY wander at all.

I was going to get CLK55, but when the 550's came out there was no choice. I really love the car and the transmission works very well. The older AMGs didn't have finger friendly wheel shifters in my opinion. They were there, but didn't fall fall easily under the fingers. I tend to hold the wheel firmly and I was afraid that the 550 paddles would get in the way, but they are offset enough that they don't. They are easy to touch when needed. I really like them.

The 550 rev's very lightly. I can't compare that to the 500 but it is a very light engine and responsive. It is quiet when driven with a light foot, but roars nicely when pushed