Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

question Re CLK maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Default question Re CLK maintenance

Here is something to consider: I heard a few CLK-class owners say that maintenance paradoxically costs less during the 2nd 100K miles of it's life than during the 1st 100K miles. This implies that it might be very economical for one to grab a used CLK with 60K-80K miles on it rather than a new one. This way, the car itself is cheaper AND the maintenance is cheaper- making it cheaper cheaper than buying a new CLK (double cheaper). Is this true? Can any of you CLK owners verify this?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: question Re CLK maintenance

My car has had only one repair since 100k. And it was to repair a rodent chewed wire. That was 80k ago. Knocking on wood for luck. I would fit into that statistic you are taliking about.

Now you know there is a major service between 75k and 80k, that involves changing the timing belt and tune up. Most people try to trade the car before then to avoid the charge. You probably wouln't want to buy one that needs that service right away. Get one that already been freshened up.

Also some CLKs after 2001 year are having radiator and tranny recalls, you might want to make sure you car is not a part of that group. You will have to search the forum to find out which cars are having the problem. Mine never had it.

After puttingmany miles on one, I can speak for the car. I have driven itto work and school full-time, since 2000. I'm always so busy it seems the engine never fully cools off. A very sturdy car. I'm not worried about the body at all; the paint is rather thin however. The biggest cost was diagnosis. FI was the biggest problem before 100k. If you have any specific Q's you can Email me.

Blue

Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 AM

I hope you are correct. I have a 2002 CLK 430 with 85K. Absolutely love the car, but everytime I go in for scheduled maintance, it seems to cost a fortune. I am hoping that after the warranty goes out at 100K, I will be able to find a good, more econimical service shop other than the dealer. Does anyone have experience with getting service from a shop other than the dealer?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM

I have always taken my benzers to independent mechanics, there is one shop that specializes in mercedes and Ive had excellent luck and savings.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Alot of things happened to reduce expenses after the first 100k.

1) Michellin began producing a tire for my car with 400 treadwear.
"pilot sport A/S" 255/40/17 and 225/45/17.

2) insurance rate drops after 100k

3)Value and tax drop after 100k

4)After 4-5 years, local independent shops know a good amount about the car, and German shops can do most anything.

5) aftermarket parts become available.

6) Used /salvage parts become available.

7) Hopefully by now, you can do the basic repairs, oil changes etc.

8) Home-repair manuals become available.

9) But overall, probably the biggest thing you can do to get the car to 200k is to keep that oil clean, engine and tranny. Also be alert for sounds and lights and get small things fixed before they turn into huge things. Check the rubber parts everytime you clean your car. Drive it carefully; you don't have to race everybody, you'll get a ticket.

10) once again, you have a 2002; you need to find out what type of radiator it has. That's the only deal-breaker I can think of.

11) If the car has been reasonably cared for, yours should hold up like mine. I'm going for the big 250k now, not by choice of course. I had a new C-class picked out, approved and everything, but my degree program is going into major overtime because the couses I need aren't available, so it looks like the CLK is going to have to endure yet "another" semester of work AND school. I honestly expected it to make it to 200k, but beyond that is surely unreasonable. Currently it runs clean, passes emmisions, full compression, no alarms, no codes, looks good...who knows?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM

If you take your car to a mechanic other than the stealers, make sure they know what they are doing. I just bought my CLK and to save the seller money I let him take it to a mechnic to get it checked and repaired if their was anything wrong with it. The mechanics claimed they knew how to work on mercedes and they seemed very reputable. The second time they looked at my car they disconnected the battery and the car lost all of its settings. The mercedes dealers obviously know about this and they know how to reset the ECU. You lose your head rest, your windows, your sunroof and radio. I am not sure if you lose more. I had to do research because I was pissed because I had thought they had broke my car. I found some directions on how to reset the ecu. Just keep that in mind.