Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Hubcentric Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Default Hubcentric Spacers

Hi.

I need some advice on Hubcentric Spacers.
I have a 01 CLK and have recently put some 19" replica rims on it. They are not staggered sizes so the front wheels are the same width as the rear wheels. (I know, I should have bought staggered sizes but I really liked these rims and didn't fancy the Carlsson price tag for the genuine rims!).
I want to bring the rear wheels out - I reckon I can bring them out at least an inch. I've done some homework and know that I would need Hubcentric spacers that actually line up against the hub thus preventing any movement. I've heard varying opinions on spacers and need to hear from someone that has actually put some on their car. I know that Mercedes wouldn't recommend it, but does anyone have any advice / thoughts?

Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hubcentric Spacers

I've had two kinds. I generally try to get the wheels back-spaced to avoid them, but I know what you mean when you can't find the wheel you want.

The aluminum flat spacers are terrible in my opinion. I tried them on a VW along time ago and they made the wheel difficult to remove /install,caused shakes at speed, and I never felt safe with them because they required an extra long stud.

On my 911 porsche, I went to a local machine shop (a real one with lathes and mills), and they made me a pair of steel spacers that pressed and bolted onto the hub, then had another set of holes offset 36 degrees to take stock studs. I recommend spacers like this, if you are going to use them. I never worried about them, and changing the wheel was as normal.

Also, install your spacers BEFORE you set the ride-height and camber! The spacers change the leverage on the suspension and causes it to sit a half inch lower.

Blue

Old 10-29-2007, 10:19 AM

Hi mate, thanks for replying.

Sounds like you got the job done properly with your 911!
I'm still between minds as to whether to to get the spacers or not.I hear what your saying and I too have heard of various problems after fitting them. I've had a look on various sites and they all list and claim to have spacers for my particular car (the ones with the lip on the inside to keep the spacer in place when fitted). I've pasted some info off of one of these site for you to look at. Are these the kind that you would advise steering clear of? Was hoping not too have to spend too much - afterall it is purely for cosmetic reasons and don't want to bugger my car! but then again, you know how it is.. any random person wouldn't even notice either way, but I and other enthusiasts blatantly notice the rears sitting in!
I'm also toying with the idea of lowering the car alittle as itsits a tad high on the new rims (but again, onlythe few would notice), but as you say, I'll look intoand maybe get spacers fitted before sorting the ride height.
Cheers for your help mate.
Rash

Total Track Widening 30mm (15mm Each Side) Hubcentric Spacers
30mm (Total) Wheels: 5 Stud

Car fitment[/align]Mercedes CLK W208 (CLK) [/align]H&R Spacers - DR System: The spacer is fitted between the wheel and hub, using longer wheel bolts
H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers move the wheel out from the hub, effectively widening the stance of the vehicle and lowering its roll center. This simple modification increases lateral stability, which in turn provides improved handling, greater safety and of course, the sleek style you’ve been looking for.
TRAK+ wheel spacers are made from a proprietary aluminum/magnesium alloy which is not only incredibly strong, but also very light (up to 70% lighter than a comparable steel product) to minimize unsprung weight. TRAK+wheel spacers are then hard anodized to ensure a tough, durable finish that is resistant to chipping, scratching and oxidation.
Like all of H&R’s street-engineered products, H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers are certified by the German Technical Inspection Agency (TÜV).

H&R Wheel Spacers:
[*]High strength, light weight aluminium/ magnesium alloy[*]upto 70% lighter than comparable steel spacers[*]CNC Machined[*]Anodized for optimum corrosion protection[*]For use with original or aftermarket wheels[*]Compatible with all suspension designs[*]TUV Approved
Click Here for Wheel Bolts
[*]Hubcentric Spacers[*]Total Track Widening = 30mm[*]Type: DR30[*]For Cars With 5 Stud Wheels[*]For Cars With 112mm PCD[*]Center Bore = 66.5mm[*]Bolt Thread = M12 x 1,5[*]Lowest Recommended Offset = 0mm

Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Those look pretty good, but I'm skeptical about the "extra-long wheel bolts" concept. The hub should hold the wheel on center, but I would like them better if they were steel.

You know it probably depends on the individual owner. I don't like them, but if it came down to not being able to drive my car, I would try them.

Blue

Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Hi mate,
I've spent more time researching since I last left my message. I've found a couple companies who are quite reputable. Apparently these kind of spacers are safe and are made in Germany and have their approval safety mark.They even have up to 90mm spacers for each side! - abit extreme I think! I had a lengthy chat with him as he assured me that these kind of spacers are even used on Lambo's and the likes and I will have no probs.
So I ordered some.
They should be arriving tomorrow - I'll let you know how I get on shall I?!
Oh, and as for the other messxage I left on the forum re Induction kit for my car - I ordered a Green Cotton one today after, again,morelengthy chats and researching!

Rash.