Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Can't get my car out of Park!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Default Can't get my car out of Park!

Guys I'm new to this forum and I would love some help with my car. I cannot get the car out of park! The check engine light is on and the BAS brake something is shown as a malfunction, as well as two other malfunctions (like ellec. ...) I'm not sure exactly what they say, but is there any way I can get my car out of park, or do I have to tow it? Also, I know my car is rear wheel, so would I have to tow it with the front side up? My car is facing my garage now, so I don't know how that will be done. Someone please help.[/align]

Old 09-24-2007, 04:04 AM
Default RE: Can't get my car out of Park!

I found out the hard way, but the CLKs have an "emergency button" that releases your car out of park/jammed gear and puts the car in "limp mode" so you can atleast have the car towed or be able to drive it slowly for a very short distance in 2nd gear (you won't be able to go any faster than 40mph without redlining...don't do it!).
You need a long object - pencil, chopstick, etc. If you look at the gearbox to the left ofthe tiptronic D+/-, there is a small square door that opens when you push on it. Stick the long object straight down gently into the opening and you'll feel a button - press down, and it should release the gearshift. It may continue to get stuck, depending on the problem, so you'll need to keep the long object handy. THIS BUTTON IS MEANT TO BE USED FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES ONLY - get the car to a Mercedes tech.You'll find more info in the manual that came with your car. Hope this helps! (BTW - how i found out the hard way...my mom spilled a $.99 coke from the drink holder onto my gearbox and I had to replace the whole unit which made that the most expensive coke I ever bought - $800! NO DRINK rule as of that day...)