Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Can someone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Default Can someone help me?

Hi I just bought a 98 clk320, I LOVE it. The dealer we bought it from had a 5 day 200 mile no questions asked return policy. There was a slight knocking noise in the engine, and the check engine light came on after driving about 45 miles. We planned on having it fully checked out by Mercedes within the 5/200 day gurantee prior to any of these issues anyway. We took it to the Mercedes service, they told us that it need about $4000 worth of service including..new A/C compressor, EGR valve, front and rear brake pads and rotors (they said someone had put new pads on old rotors), new fuel filter & spark plugs and seals replaced on driver door that's causing wind noise.
We returned the car to the dealer and they inspected it last night and said (so far) that the A/C compressor HAS been replaced, the rotors were 45-50% (while Mercedes told us that the rotors were actually BELOW min. specs), and the check engine light was not on (of course). I've heard that Mercedes has a higher standard but could there possibly be this much difference in the two service departments?? Can someone give me advise or opinion based on experience? I love the car.. I really want to keep it, but I don't want to make a huge mistake? HELP!!!! (..please..)

Old 01-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Default RE: Can someone help me?

Beau, If you have that kind of trouble in 45 miles, just imagine what 4500 miles will bring. You can find another car but if you have never had a MB you will be shocked by the maintenance and the repair costs. I know they are high quality cars but the cost soon gets to be more than the car is worth. If you have that kind of warranty I would excercise that right. Just my opinion.