Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

4-Matic on CLK or CLS??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Default 4-Matic on CLK or CLS??

Does anyone know if there is a possibility that M-B will add the 4-matic option to the CLK or CLS Series in the future? My wife and I have moved to the Midwest and our SL is not an option during the winter months. We are looking to trade, but we are limited in our all-wheel drive options. We really want a convertible, but the Audi A4 is the only thing we can find, that fits our taste. Our next option is the E or S-class M-B or the A6 or A8 Audi. I really like the new CLS, I just saw one in CA yesterday, but my understanding is that it is not available in 4-Matic.

Any suggestions for us?

Thanks!

GGary

Old 02-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Default RE: 4-Matic on CLK or CLS??

Mercedes only offers 4-matic on its sedan, wagon and suv. Two-door convertible and two/four door coupes gets only rear-wheel drive. Usually all wheel drive isn't offered on those sporty models, Audi uses all wheel drive (or quattro) because they don't make rear wheel drives, they believe its unsafe. So Audi opt for all wheel drive instead of just the rears.
I guess another reason might be covertibles are designed to be drive at time when the weather is good, summer cars.
It seems like A4 is your only choice if you want an all-weather convertible. But when you have the money for an SL-class, I don't think you have to compromise. How about a E500 4-matic with Panorama Sunroof ? Or a Porsche 911 carrera 4, new look this year.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:07 PM

MioCLK,

You hit it on the head. If I had to select today, it would be the E500 4Matic, but my wife still wants to have a convertible. This is her car, and I have to defer to her ultimate choice. I saw the new CLS on Thursday on the West Coast, and was really impressed with the overall appearance, especially the interior. That is why I was wondering about M-B possibly offering the CLS in the 4Matic, but I guess with them calling the CLS a "Coupe" they want to stay away from the 4Matic aspect. It just seems unusual to me that the S & E Class have 4Matic, but not the CLS. The only way I can get my wife to stray from a convertible is if the design appeals to her. The E & S do not appeal to her, but I believe I could persuade her with the CLS.

I actually like the new 6 Series BMW, but it is obviously not offered in AWD. I am not a fan of Porshce.

Thanks for your advice. I plan to defer until as late as possible, in case something new comes out.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:03 AM

as far as i know mercedes benz has no plans on making the cls in a 4matic version