Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Windshield issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Default Windshield issue

The windshield on my 2005 c230 sedan was recently struck by a stray rock. At first it was a miner chip, within two months it got worse. I now have a hugh crack across my windshield, so i am in need of some desperate help. I live in Dallas and i need to konw if anyone on this forum has used ParkPlace to have there windshield replaced? Or are there any shops that i can trust with my car that will doa godjob. I am not sure if ParkPlace does this inhouse or if they willhiresomeone to have it replaced? Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Windshield issue

I have a C230K, an '05, and I am a former glass installer of 15 years. Among other things....
I can tell you this about getting a new windshield. A lot of shops farm this job out since it's easier
for them to call the glass guy and have him come over and put the thing in. Labor is pretty cheap
for these types of jobs, so the dealers farm it out. Or......some dealers have a "glass guy" who is
experienced doing mostly just that, so he is the one they give the windshields, door glasses, etc. to.

Or, you can take it to a reputable auto glass shop or have them do it mobile at your place. Home or work
depending on weather, etc. Windshields are not rocket science. Basically, if I can summarize the job, you
remove any moulding around the top and sides of the windshield, and the w/shield wipers and cowl piece and
cut the old windshield out, using either an electric knife or a windshield cut out knife with a long L-shaped blade
to reach in and cut the urethane that holds all the new windshields in. A bead of new urethane is laid on the
part that remained when the glass was cut out, and the new glass is simply set in place on the new sealer.
That's it. Put the molding back on nicely and go. It sets up fairly rapidly and some places like to put some
tape on the glass/molding to keep everything in place till you get home. That's why you see some people driving
around with a strip of tape across the top of their w/shield molding. It's only on there until the next day.
Urethane is the industry standard and cures to a very tough bond.

Sorry about the tutorial, but it was necessary. Here's why: What can go wrong, and what's the difference
between a "good job" and a "bad job" when it comes to your windshield: It's all about being careful when you
remove the molding and cut the glass out. Anybody can do it, but it's important to get somebody who is a bit
careful with your paint/interior etc. Sometimes a glass place will have to order a new molding as part of the job.
Sometimes installers are able to put the old one back and have it look as good as new. Sometimes not. Some
glass comes with it already on (bonded) to the glass. Some don't. Yours does not.

Most places and installers do this all day long and it's not something to worry about too much.
Hope this helps you.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Default RE: Windshield issue

Thanks for the info i will continue my hunt for a good professional installer.Thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Default Door beads ..

Hi,
I am looking for door beads for 1980/1979 Mercedes Benz 123 car. Please let me know where I could find/purchase them
Thanks
Dr. Abraham Joseph