Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Default RE: Wheels!

You're not wrong. Its an image thing with no performance improvement. If it was something I wanted to do, I wouldn't go any bigger than 17". You'll fill up the wheel hole some, have lower profil tires but still have some shock absorbing through the tire and probably won't screw up your rims on pot holes.
I saw a W202 with 20" wheels and it looked like a circus car to me.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi Rocksolid,

Is that your car in the picture next to your name? It looks like it has new rims and tires and appears to be lowered. Just curious on any customization that you may have done to your car.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:20 AM

I WENT 18" INCH ESTRELLA VAULT RIMS WITH 225/40/18 BRIGESTONE POTENZA TIRES ALL AROUND MY C 230 KOMPRESSOR AND THE CAR LOOKS WICKED AND ALSO RIDES SMOOTH! [:@]

Old 01-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Has anyone tried having the stock rims polished and clear coated to get a gleaming look without sacrificing performance? I have an SLK320 '01 and am considering that avenue. My car is black. I also considered just painting the wheels the body color to make them disappear. Any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Has anyone tried having the stock rims polished and clear coated to get a gleaming look without sacrificing performance? I have an SLK320 '01 and am considering that avenue. My car is black. I also considered just painting the wheels the body color to make them disappear. Any thoughts?
personally, I would just get new rims. it's not the fact that they're not shiny, it's that they're really basic. My vote is that you just get new rims.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Point taken.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:36 AM

There's some basic info here on working your wheels.

Wheel polishing thread.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 AM

first off welcome to the forum jamminj
i run 18s on my 94 c280 and they look good on it. you can run anything from 17-19s relatively easily aslong as there the correct offset for the car they shouldnt rub, especially at standard hight.
it shouldnt effect the spedo as you will have lower profile tires which should have a similar overall diameter to the stock wheels.
ride should be similar, if only ever so slightly rougher (you prolly wont even notice this)
they shouldnt brake or crack unless you hit a massive pot hole which would prolly damage something else anyway.
they will be slightly heavier than the standard wheels so the acceleration will be slightly worse (if traction isnt an issue in either case) but you will have better more predictable cornering due to the lower profile of the tires giving less "tire roll"

brabus makes nice wheels. go for them, 18s generally sweet
19s if you are more serious about modding
heres a pic of my car with the 18s
https://mercedesforum.com/upfiles/42...5ECAF23553.jpg

Old 01-16-2006, 04:45 PM

it shouldnt effect the spedo as you will have lower profile tires which should have a similar overall diameter to the stock wheels.
[ul][*] Everybody who pimps their car with low-profile tires always has impure thoughts of going beyond the overall diameter. And they usually install these and it's a fact.
[/ul]

they shouldnt brake or crack unless you hit a massive pot hole which would prolly damage something else anyway.
[ul][*] You haven't seen those with pimp'd wheels -- going over bumps VERY slowly diagonally?[/ul]

they will be slightly heavier than the standard wheels so the acceleration will be slightly worse (if traction isnt an issue in either case) but you will have better more predictable cornering due to the lower profile of the tires giving less "tire roll".
[ul][*] TRUE. If no downside functionally, why AMG did not equip C43s with 19" rims I wonder![/ul]

I APOLOGIZE FOR VOICING MY TWO-CENTS HERE. AS YOU KNOW, I AM ALWAYS AGAINST MOLESTING OR DE-FLOWERING A PERFECTLY GOOD CAR.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:32 AM

YO C280,

WHAT ARE THE OFFSET ON YOUR 18" RIMS????

Quick Reply: Wheels!