Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

wash and wax

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Default wash and wax

sorry, my last one for the day.... I promise
just too excited for being on this forum for the first time... still in honeymoon phase with my C220
anyways, just wondering if anybody could suggest to me how to clean my car.... are gas station car washes ok? or should I do handwashes only?
what about wax? what kind is the best? is the clean and wax (at the same time) liquids any good for my car?
thanx

Old 10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Default RE: wash and wax

i stay away from automatic washes- even on my daily driver ford focus. i only use meguires gold class or nxt soap and wax on my cars. i have heard zaino is great stuff also- but never used it.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Definitly steer clear of automatic washes that touch the car with any sort of scrubbing device; they tend to get full of dirt from prior cars and can really scratch up your finish. I usually do a spray-only wash once a week with my car, and then Zaino twice a year (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc). Be advised that the Zaino is a multi-step product, and will eat a couple of hours out of your weekend (wash/claybar/dry/wax?/polish/spray/dry). They number their protectants, Z2 is for new finishes utilizing clear-coat; Z5 would be for scratch repair, etc. FYI, I'm a lazy git, but I stick with the Zaino anyway as it shines up awesomely and protects for a long, long time. The clay-bar is a wonderful tool (hunk of playdough-like stuff that takes various things off your finish with no muss or fuss), but keep in mind that since it removes wax you only want to do it prior to a wax-session.

You might also try Aerospace 303 Protectant on the interior; gives a clean but non-shiney look on leather/plastic/rubber/metal. Much nicer IMHO than Armor-all.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

i stay away from automatic washes
+1

Hand wash, wax and polish your car otherwise you're going to have scratches, dents or paint chips. I use whatever wash liquid is the cheapest, but apply Turtle wax polish (the expensive stuff),Meguire's liquid wax and some Armorall Extreme tire shine.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:39 PM

I have used all of the most popular waxes out ther but got the best results with my current product. I use IBIZ wax you can buy it on the internet (not sure of the website, its printed on the bottle) it costs a little more but it giveg you a showroom shine. Easy on easy off.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 AM

Sal Zaino knows more about polishing cars than most so-called experts have forgotten. He pioneered the now famous
Zaino products to be the best line available of polishes for those who want the absolute best, even if it requires a bit more work initially. Once you have the paint prepared properly, according to his detailed instructions, it's a 30 minute process to do it over.
I have been using his products on my cars, including show cars, for years and nothing comes close. It's NOT a wax, by the way.
You absolutely must go to his website and read the part about what kind of applicator and towels to use, then you will be convinced. You mail order the products and he sends them to you. You don't need everything and a lot of people are overwhelmed by the Z-1, Z-2, Z-5, Z-16, ZZZZZZZ everything. Don't be. The Corvette and Viper Club people stand behind his stuff and they have tried them all, as I have. Rated FIVE STARS!