Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

w202 cruise control from some to none

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Default w202 cruise control from some to none

I have a 96 w202. My cruise was working intermittently at best. It would engage sometimes and at times not at all. Sometimes while it is on, it will start surging/bucking and turn off. I read some threads about the amplifier solder points going bad soI took out the amplifier and soldered the unit and it stopped working altogether. I guess my soldering skills were not as good as I thought!

I ordered a used amplifier, and while I was waiting for the unit, my CEL light came on and the code stated that there is a problem with the speed sensor. I installed the new amplifier and the cruise did not work. Probably because of the speed sensor? Is there a way for me to find out which sensor it is? WOuls this stop the cruise from working?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Default RE: w202 cruise control from some to none

Try this site:

http://www.the12volt.com/default.asp?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 AM

I looked around the site and it did not help too much.

I was able to reset my codes and clear the CEL light by disconnecting the battery. I drove the car for an hour this morning and no CC and not CEL lights.

What puzzles me is that it worked intermittently before and now it does not? I replaced the amplifier after a possible botch soldering job. That was it. I wonder if it will take some time for the CEL light to return? Is it worth the $92 to have the dealer scan the car? I do not want to start replacing random parts and end up spending allot of money on this.

any ideas?

Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 AM

Did you look at the left side of the window inthe site with dark blue background?
Scroll down to cruise control (not in the main window) and open up. There is some detailed
instruction there on faultdiadnosis and remedy in general terms. See if this helps.
Shan.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM

I am having a Indy look at it today since I have anothr issue, he is going to see if the diagnostic report sais anything. I have a feeling it may be the throttle actuator as well.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM

Indy stated that it the codes point to the Throttle Actuator. Would this cause the CC to stop working?

Well the good news is that he thinks that the wire harness was replaced because it was in good shape!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM

I had a used actuator installed and it stopped the idle issue, but the CC still does not work. I tried two amplifiers and neither one work. I wonder what is next?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 AM

The cc is connected to a speed sensor. In the older models, the sensor is attached to the speedo cable base. I am not sure about your model. Could you or youe indie trace it and check for good contacts/clean sensor mechanism?
The cc is also connected to the brake switch. Is your brake switch OK. If it sends a falls signal that the brakes are on, your cc will not work. This could be your problem.
Shan.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 AM

Visit the site below. See if it helps.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cruise-control2.htm

Shan.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM

I read the site and am now trying to find another place to troubleshoot. I bought a brake light switch for $27 and installed it and still no go. The only thing left is the stalk and I do not think that it is bad, since the symptons do not fit.

So far I have replaced the Amp/module, Actuator/throttle bod, brake switch and checked all vacuum lines.

My INDY stated that this model/year does not have a hall/speed sensor on the cluster.

Grrr!

Quick Reply: w202 cruise control from some to none