Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

using ipod nano with c-class auxiliary- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Default using ipod nano with c-class auxiliary- HELP!

Hello; I need help with someone who has experience with operating an ipod in a c-class. I am thinking about buying another c-class. This time I want to hook my iPod nano up to the audio system. I read about the integration kit and certainly am not interested since you have to interact with the ipod through the car dashboard interface. I would much rather operate the ipod itself to select and play my music. I read on the web about connecting the ipod to the auxiliary input but never found any information about whether I will be able to use the ipod itself or if I'll still be force to use the dashboard interface. Does anybody know if I can connect my iPod nano to the auxiliary in a c-class and use the ipod rather than the dashboard interface? Please help me... I will not buy another Mercedes Benz if I cannot do this simple thing. Also, can you tell me with what W203 models (by year) it is possible to hook up an ipod nano through the auxiliary with good sound quality? I need you consumers on this since the web is full of marketers who "don't bother to mention" little things that can make a big difference in satisfaction and comfort.

~ Thanx

Old 07-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Default RE: using ipod nano with c-class auxiliary- HELP!

Whether you connect via the iPod's digital output via the intergration kit or just the audio output jack, you're still using the stereo's auxiliary input. The MB stereos only allow one aux input, either analog or digital. If you use the audio output method, you can control your iPod using the iPod. If you use the digital connector via the MB iPod integration kit, you'll have to control the iPod from the steering wheel controls only. I agree that it sucks. It would be a lot better if you could control it from the stereo, but alas it is not so.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 PM

Mike8887
Go to this link.. there used to be pictures on how to do it but for some reason they are gone. I followed them without the pictures and it was a cinch to do in my 06 C230.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...od+integration

Something else you might want to consider alsong with the aux input install is the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play kit for about 79.00. Here is a link:

http://www.harmankardon.com/

I'm gonna try one of these myself... Your Nano will do just fine with either or both solutions......

Word of caution....alot of the people @ mbworld.org are pretty arogant and from my perspective dislike "newbies". Be careful getting involved with that forum, in particulr a character who goes by drexsppeal.

Good luck, bro!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:57 PM

mrgaf, thanks for the info.
Are you sure that I will have direct control of my ipod during musicplay? I just want to make double sure if this. You don't know how important my car audio is to me.
Thanks...

Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 AM

ok, let me ask you a question just to clear things up....
when you say "direct" control do you mean actually using the pad on the iPOD to scroll thru the various selections? If so, yes, you will. You will also have the same capability with the Drive + Play and the newer version, the Drive + Play 2. With both you will have total control and the control "stick" functions quite the same way as the iPOD controls do. The "2" will give you album covers if you desire in a screen that can be mounted on the dash. A friend of mine has one on his 06 and it works and looks great. With either one you can go FM (thru the stereo) or direct connect via the aux cable and if I'm not mistaken you even have the option of using the connector on the bottom to recharge the iPOD, and all this is pretty much wireless! Hope this helps ya, Bro!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 PM

That is pretty funny that your go-no go decision on buying a Mercedes Benz is based on whether you can connect your $300 IPOD to it in the manner of your choosing! Come on!

Personally I use the iTrip with mine and it works great - and I can use it on any car I want.

-Eric

Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 AM

mrgaf
Yes, by direct control, I mean that I can use my ipod itself to operate the music. This includes the buttons (back, foward, pause, play, menu, scroll, and the middle one) and the screen on my ipod. I understand that the dashboard interface/steering wheel controls might have some control if they want to, but all I care about is using my ipod itself ignoring the dashboard and steering wheel controls (except for maybe the steering wheel volume). Thanks for all your help.

no_mo_bmw
I happen to be very picky about my car's interior- especially with the audio. Pickiness is highly probable among Benz owners- I would imagine. Actually this feature I inquire about is extremely important to me- especially since I sold all my CD's (because they are a pain to carry around and get scratched) and made life 1000x easier by getting an ipod. This becomes even more important considering the dashboard interface sucks. Not having direct ipod control, in effect, translates to me having no audio at all, unless I want to go buy my 350 CD's back for $15 apiece (or use the limited dashboard interface). Another thing: I hardly use the ipod outside of my car anyway. I bought it especially for making my car music control and transfer of music from home to car more convenient. Come on!

Old 07-18-2007, 04:44 AM

I have a thing called "Monster" I believe and it plugs into my cigarette lighter. It's great. I just go to a station that's not used (89.7, 88.5, etc) and then I can scroll through my ipod (via my ipod haha). It gets GREAT reception nearly everywhere, and when I don't get reception, I can just pick a different channel. The only thing is the volume's a LITTLE quieter when going through the ipod, but I never have the volume turned all the way up, so it's no problem.

email me at livefordrama007@aol.com if you have anymore questions

Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM

mrgaf
Another 2 questions:

1.) I just want to plug the ipod into the car and use it by itself. I don't want any other pieces of equipment to operate during musicplay- like an additional screen or something. I just want to use my ipod's alone during musicplay (with the exception of pressing some buttons on the stereo if it needs to initially be put into AUX mode or something).

2.) What kind of mobility will I have when plugged in? I would like to plug the ipod in and be able to keep it near me- like in the center area or on the front seat so I can grab it and control it while driving without having to reach all the way into the glove box to change songs or volume. Will I be able to attach it to a wire, then plug that wire into the car input?

In my old Toyota, I had an aftermarket stereo with an AUX option. I then used a 6-ft cable to attach my ipod to the stereo. With that, I had direct control of the ipod and the ability to keep it next to me while driving and listening to music. This is the same kind of setup I would like in the Benz- only without getting an aftermarket stereo.

Sorry to be so picky, but it's important to me, and these forums are the only way to talk to honest people who know what they're talking about.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 AM

Ok, but two of us have suggested using an iTrip like Broadcasting device simply installed on the top of the iPod. Works great for me and a $20 solution that will allow you to enjoy a $34000 car....

-Eric

Quick Reply: using ipod nano with c-class auxiliary- HELP!