Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades or MODS?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Default Upgrades or MODS?????

I am looking to uprade anything for performance on my 2006 C230. Anything from airfilters to exhuast? I can't find anyone with upgrades for this years model yet? Any help?

Love the car. Always need more power. What can I say. I'm a guy...

Old 11-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Default RE: Upgrades or MODS?????

A k&n filter might add a little bit to the car. Other than that, you might consider an ECU upgrade, but they are usually pricey.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:43 PM

Thanks, I looked at K&N. They're a little slow upgrading their toys for the 2006 C230 ? Oh well...

Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 AM

I just got mines 3months ago... really needs something to fix the throttle lag....

Old 11-07-2005, 03:50 AM

I read some opinions about K&N filters.
They improve performance by lowering the filtering restrictions, what is achieved by making bigger holes in elements.
So if you want to go this way, you can "improve" your car even more by removing filter completely.
It will run much better, just not for long.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Of course, you have some real-world data to back up your claims and not just a bunch of opinions you read somewhere that you're not even willing to disclose, probably in fear that we'll all laugh at you. Okay, let's see your data.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:34 PM

i agree with lugnut, on paper the marketing guys make it lookreally good. in the real worls some of these products don't do jack. Next time you are reading a car magazine, take a look and see if they will say a product sucks. they won't cuz it's bad for business.

I agree that C230 could use some more power, but being a fast car isn't the point of the C230. if you really need more power i would sell the car and get something faster. I think K&N air filters are a waste of money. You will not feel any performance gain from putting it on, so i guarantee you will be dissapointed. Same goes for aftermarket exhaust systems. anyway sorry to be a "downer" but i have tried these products in the past and not been happy with money spent. the only mods that really work are superchargers or turbos (or upping the boost if you have one already) , nitrous oxide, increasing engine displacement or making the vehicle lighter. If your vehicle is a Kompressor model, take a look around for ways to increase the boost and keep the intake charge cool (change pulleys add intercooler or water injection) i've hard good reports on the kleemann pulleys for the C230, plus it is a mod you can remove when you take your car in fro service to avoid voiding the warranty. the b.s. part is i've read that Kleeman only sells the pullys through a network of dealers that have to install it at their 75- 90 dollar an hour shop rate- LAME!!!!!

here's my other gripe about K&N air filters. they are made of oiled gauze. your expensive mass air flow sensor is right downstream from it. ask yourself if a un-noticable 2 hp gain at 6000 rpm is worth coating a 500 dollar mass airflow sensor with an oil mist from you k&n filter. the mass air flow sensor you will most likey ruin if you try cleaning.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:07 PM

My experience has been that you need about a 20hp gain before you can feel it. A higher-flow air intake, a freer-flowing exhaust, or both can give those kinds of gains but not always (usually not). It depends on whether or not your car needs it.

On the other hand, a 10hp gain can be measured by a clock even though you can't feel it. It should give about a .10 second gain in a quarter mile, very generally speaking. That's between one and two car lengths for a quick street car.