Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuneup---do it yourself guide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Default Tuneup---do it yourself guide?

Hello All!!

This is my first post to this forum.....

My 99' C280 has 72K miles on it . I've already had one wire go bad which caused the coil to burn out...
history: the car was shaking side to side so I tried this stuff called BG44K to clean out the injectors. It seemed to work for a week and then the problem was back......eventually one of the wires on the #2 cylinder went bad and also burned out the #2 coil.

6 monts later, the same problem is starting to occur again.....just a little bit of hesitation now, but I know it is going to get worse with time.
I want to change the plugs and wires myself, than having to bend over at the dealership........they want over $500 bucks to do the job which seems easy to do on the driveway....

Anyone have a do it your self guide and the tools needs to pull the wire cap off. I tried to pull one of the wires from a plug, but was scared to crack the plug....very tight fit..!

Thanks to all, and have a nice day

Old 09-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Tuneup---do it yourself guide?

I have been working on cars for decades, but on my 99 C280, I wouldn't change the plugs or the coils, as you need special tools, you can easily damage those coils, so my advice is to take it to a good Mercedes shop or dealer and find out what is wrong before you take the engine apart. What your describing could be a number of thins other then the plugs or coils, it might cost a few bucks but on these high tech cars, you will probably save in the long run. If you do change the plugs and coils make sure you use Mercedes plugs only, a lot of folks have tried after market plugs and have run into problems.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:27 AM

thanks for the advice.......when I complained to the dealership about the reaccuring problem, they diagnosed it to be a wire on a different cylinder this time.....last time it was #2, now #3. They wanted $60 for one wire and $95 for labor/diagnostics....I got out of there without paying since it was a reoccuring problem....
I plan to pick up a whole set for around $200 and have the local mercedes shop replace the wires and plugs.....
if i wanted to do it myself, where can I pick up this tool?

Thanks,
Amul

Old 09-16-2004, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

your engine is 104 0r 112?
i assume it's 112.

try using the 17mm open end wrench to pry out the HT cable.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 AM

Amul: Good idea to have a Mercedes mechanic do this job, As you probaby know you need a special wrench to remove the coil, etc. I heard many horror, of owners not familiar with Mercedes and how they are put together and try and do repairs that a trained Mercedes person should do, as I said it is cheaper in the long run. I had my steering damper replaced yesterday at the dealer,$0 as my 99 is Starmarked until 2005, but they also found I need a new key, as my start the enginer without holding the key on isn't working correctly, These keys ain't cheap either.