Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006 | 08:05 PM
Default transmission

Are 1998 C230's known for lazy lazy transmissions? Because the one we have (with only 65k) hates to downshift, and sometimes when it's cold outside, hates to even upshift (will slowly rev to 3,500 rpms (when I'm barely even gassing it) before it shifts into third or fourth. I would expect (from all autos I have ever driven), with this amount of pedal imput for this shift to occur under 2,000 rpms...it never does.

So when it went in for the inspection I asked our mecanic to flush the tranny oil. The bill came back with, "unable to complete transmission flush, please bring to dealer for this service." So my question is why did he say this (he's usually pretty good) and more importantly, am I due for a flush? We got the car two years ago with 40k, so I never knew how it shifted when new.

Also I'm pretty sure there is a slow leak on the axle seals for the differential. Is there a service interval for the differential? (i'm assuming this car has one, I really know nothing about RWD) Could this impact shifting?

Thank you!

Old 12-30-2006 | 05:49 PM
Default RE: transmission

"unable to complete transmission flush, please bring to dealer for this service."
The first thing your mechanic probably noticed was the lack of a transmission dip stick. Secondly, if he read about MB transmissions, he read they were designed with a "fluid for life" ATF. Well, both of these situations are not the end of the story. The transmission (MB 722.6) does have a dip stick to check ATF level, however it's a mechanic's tool, not left in the car. Secondly, almost every MB mechanic I've talked with recommends changing the ATF at least every 60k miles. Go to a mechanic who either specializes in Merc, or European cars. More than likely, he's done the job before. The MB ATF fluid is about $20/litre, however you can find it on the web for about half that. Buy your own and take it to your mechanic (8-9 litres). Also, you'll want to buy a transmission filter kit. About $25 on the web. After the parts are purchased, you should pay $75 or less for the labor. Ask the mechanic if he checks the level of the fluid when its fully warm. This needs to be done to assure the proper fill level of fluid. (Under- fill is bad, but so is over-fill.)
Your rear differential is also a "fluid for life" system. Again, this can and should be changed.
Good luck.
BTW, your sluggish transmission behavior does not sound normal to me. I have a the same transmission with a few upgrades (MB improved the transmission for '99) and it shifts well and seemlessly.

Old 12-30-2006 | 07:42 PM

I don't know about the downshifting problem but it is going to try to warm itself when its cold. It should go to about 3000 rpm to shift when cold then shift normally once it warms up.

Old 01-06-2007 | 01:07 PM

Well I just got my car back from the transmission shop. I was able to witness the removal and the disassembly of the tranny for the visual inspection. The transmission was pretty much shot. I needed to have a master rebuild kit installed. It also needed brake band B-2 and torque converter replaced. I also changed out the flex disk and linkage bushings. Overall the friction plates were all about worn out. I didn’t expect a car with 84,000 miles to be in the state. When it was all said and done it cost me $1300.00 to get it back. Did I get a fair price for this type of service or did I get the shaft?

I am glad to ride again and it does ride as a new car, I am keeping my fingers crossed and I will be following the breaking-in procedures and inspection intervals to ensure it doesn’t happen again if I can help it.[/align]