Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

TIRE OPINIONS...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 PM
DC5
Default TIRE OPINIONS...

hello all. i'm a new member here. i figure this is the best place to get true honest opinions than shop or dealer. here's my situation. several days ago, i noticed all my tires had decreased tire pressure (i'm not sure how long i've been driving on low tire pressure), not the first time for my right rear tire btw. saturday i put air in all of them. sunday afternoon i was drving on the freeway and right rear tire popped. no nail puncture, and not slashed either because i checked that day. upon inspection, i noticed a good size tear on the side wall (about 3 inches). driving on low pressure tires must have caused uneven wear on the tires and slow leaked caused the pop, that's just my guess. in any case, i learned my lesson.

i drive an 05' C320 SPort Sedan with approx 21,000 miles.
original rear tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 245/40 ZR 17, Directional. front tires are same but smaller.

i would appreciate any thoughts on what tire to replace it with. i'm also debating if i might as well get the left one replace too. thank you for your prompt input on this!

Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Default RE: TIRE OPINIONS...

How many miles on the left one? 21K miles on Z-rated tires? They should all be about shot. Get two tires--left and right.

What about the front? That's where you need better tread.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:40 PM
DC5

all of the tires are still the original stocks. after reading several reviews from tirerack.com, i'm surprised and quite pleased that they have lasted this long (21,800 miles) without any problems until now. i'm definitely going to change both rear this week. i'm looking at the Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S. any recommendations?

Old 12-13-2005, 12:20 AM

M&S? Is that mud & snow? Why get those?

How about some wet/dry summer tires? I think you can get those Pirellis in wet/dry tread. They would even work acceptably in light snow if you're careful.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:13 AM
DC5

not sure what M&S actually stands for, but it does give it better traction in the snow, which we don't have here in sf bay area. any brand suggestions?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ero+Nero+M%26S

Old 12-13-2005, 10:44 AM

Yeah, those are all-season mud & snow tires. You don't need those unless you'll be driving in nasty winter weather at least occasionally.

I don't want to start a tire brand war with any knuckleheads here (not you). I'd stick with Z-rated tires since that's what the car came with and that's what you have on the front.

Unless you're going to race your car, brand doesn't matter much. Price matters more. Shop around for the best wet/dry summer tire you can find. The TireRack is good place to do that. They have hypertext software that will help you choose the appropriate tire to fill your needs based on your car and your driving style.

If you're hung up on brands, read the following. It's an excerpt from a 2001 article. Much has happened in the way of mergers and aquisitions since then.

In the late 1980s, overseas tire manufacturers bought up the American tire industry creating giant global tire suppliers – to mention only the largest purchases: Japan’s Bridgestone (Tokyo) bought Firestone; France’s Michelin (Clermont-Ferrand) acquired Uniroyal and BF Goodrich, which had previously merged; and Germany’s Continental (Hanover) bought General Tire. Today, of the top 20 tire makers, only Goodyear (Akron, Ohio) and Cooper Tire and Rubber (Findley, Ohio) are based in the United States.

These same five global companies dominate North American tire sales according to Tire Business magazine:

-- Goodyear/Kelly-Springfield/ Dunlop: $6.7 billion

-- Michelin/Uniroyal Goodrich: $5.6 billion

-- Bridgestone/Firestone/Dayton: $4.8 billion

-- Continental General: $1.65 billion

-- Cooper Tire: $1.5 billion

We should note that in worldwide sales, Bridgestone is number one ($13.75 billion), Michelin number two ($13.2 billion) and Goodyear is third with $12.725 billion.

However, more important is the fact the big five tire makers and their associated brands (Kelly, for example is the largest private label tire maker) control 87 percent of the North American tire market. The rest of the market divides slightly more than $3 billion in tire sales. Among the other manufacturers are small Korean, Japanese, Indian and Chinese (including Taiwan) tire makers.
Just remember, this isn't the 1940s. Tires sold in the US are regulated and must meet US DOT standards. It's more important to choose a tire to fit your driving style and pocketbook than to choose by brand. Brands are little more than personal preference nowadays, and some people will defend and extol their favorite brand(s) until the cows come home. Do you remember the brand name of the biggest tire recall in US history? Firestone--a top brand with many fans. They had more fans before the recall of the Firestone 500 tire.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:13 PM
DC5

thanks for your feedback!! i decided to go with the Kuhmo ecstas and decided to replace all 4. the OE michelin sport pilot gave me good mileage @22K, but the sidewall wore out faster than treads. i'll be getting my kuhmos tom. i'll let u know how it rides.