Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Default Suspension upgrade

For those that are interested.

I just recently upgraded my suspension in a 2000 C230 Kompressor Sport Edition with the following.

1. Koni Shocks/Springs
2. Eibach Sway Bars

Here are some "gotchas" to watch out for.

1. The dristributor I bought the Eibach Sway bars from had the wrong part number in their system, so make sure you purchase/receive the correct part number for your year/model vehicle. Thank God, the rear sway bar was the correct one, but had to return and install the front.

2. Had to decide which shims to put in. I am using the thickest for both front and rear for now and then change if needed. It still lowers the car about 1 1/2 inches from the Sport Edition, but not "TOO" much to cause major camber issues. I still have to bring the car in for alignment, but I have be told to wait a couple of hundred miles for things to settle in. I have been told it may lower another 1/2 inch over this period.

3. I set the shocks to soft position for normal driving. It is still sitffer than my original shocks.

4. Suggestion: Check and replace any other things at the same time... Lower Control Arm bushings/Ball Joints/etc. If they show any noticable wear.

The outcome:

The car corners much better.

If one doesn't want the car lowered, at least get the sway bars. THEY ARE GREAT!

Old 07-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Default RE: Suspension upgrade

I'm not really familiar with the function that "shims" provide. I assume they are like any shim, and allow for slight adjustments in size.
Can I lower my Sport suspension but just taking all the shims out: while keeping oem shocks/springs?

Old 07-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Default RE: Suspension upgrade

Yes, you have to have the shims in there. They provide a cushion. It depends on your particular vehicle which shims are in there now. You can tell by how many dimples. For my year, there are 5 thicknesses for the front and 4 for the rear. I went with the thickest shims front/rear for the Koni Springs. It takes a few hundred miles for it to settle.

When Mercedes Benz puts the springs in, they are rated and matched with the shims to get the desired height. Springs are not 100 identical, so they rate them and then put the appropriate shim for the ride height for non-sport and sport edition.

My suggestion, use the thickest shims first and go from there. Wait at least a couple of hundred miles to use a thinner shim as it might settle 1/2 inch during the first couple of hundred miles. You also need to wait until you have the car aligned so that everything is settled.

Also, you have to be careful about scraping the bottom of the car.... Just one of the little gotchas with lowering the car.

If you don't want to lower the car, just get stiffer shocks and sway bars and have a nice day. :-)

David