Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Default Suspension noise

Hey guys wondered if anyone could tell me what is making so much noise on my 98 C280. When I go over bumps my car sounds like an old cheap motel mattress. It has been a gradual thing, but it's getting worse. I have always owned Chevy Trucks before this car, so I am not familiar with these suspensions.

Thanks guys,

Frank Allen

Old 10-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Default RE: Suspension noise

Bushings front and rear probably need replacement. My 99 C280 suspension is not that quiet for what you would expect from a Mercedes. But I am told the front control arm bushings go bad. The rear swaybar bushing. You might want to have them check, I am trying to find poly bushings for my sway bar, but so far no luck. Does the steering wheel shimmy when you hit these bumps? The noise also could be just plain old worn out suspension parts also??

Old 10-09-2005, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the input, and no the steering wheel is perfect no shimmy, figured it was probably bushings, just wasn't sure. If you have any other input I would appreciate it.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:48 PM

Ive been having a similar problem with my 97, but its not only on bumps. When im going at high speeds, usually on the highway, I hear a rubbing noise in the front passanger wheel well, or so it seems. It also happens when I go around bends at high speeds, due to the passanger side suspension being slightly higher off the ground then the driver.

You know that noise when you put a picece of paper in a fan, it makes that propeler type noise?? Im hearing that.

Still bushings? Just had an alignment done, and the noise remains the same.

-Evan

Old 10-12-2005, 01:43 PM

Sounds like you have a serious suspension problem. A part failure of some sort. Maybe the driver's side suspension sags so far because of this that the tire is rubbing against something. Either get underneath and look around for a rubbed, broken or leaking part or take it to a shop and have it checked out, but don't wait too long.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:43 PM

It doesnt seem to sag that much, and it only happens above a particular speed.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:59 PM

Hey, it's your life. Just be careful not to take any innocent people with you.

Are you saying you disagree that it should be checked out because "It doesnt seem to sag that much, and it only happens above a particular speed?" But, it sags enough to make two different rubbing noises?

The suspension geometry is way out-of-whack under at least two scenarios. I'd take a look underneath.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Its scheduled to go in for the brakes next week, so ill tell them to look at it again. They have already looked at it, and said they couldn't find any problem.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 PM

This may seem really strange, but I heard a similar noise on a Ford Truck when the sway bar linkage broke. The driver didn't know and a shop somehow overlooked it, but I found it quickly not hard to tell, but that's what it was.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 AM

WD-40 works for me

Quick Reply: Suspension noise