Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof won't close and Oil light keeps coming on

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Unhappy Sunroof won't close and Oil light keeps coming on

Hi out there,

Just bought a used C240 with 80,000 miles and already it is giving me problems two days off the lot. The sunroof will not slide shut-it stops about 5 inches from closing completely. I read the manual and it seems that it can only be "reset" from the closed position. Help!

Also, the "Reduce oil level" light comes on, even though I've had the oil level checked twice. After driving with the reduce oil level light on, another message pops up that says Oil levels, Stop Engine. I think its the oil sensor, as it seems to come on when the engine warms a bit.

I am so frustrated and worry that I bought a lemon. Any advice totally appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by cmcginnis
Hi out there,

Just bought a used C240 with 80,000 miles and already it is giving me problems two days off the lot. The sunroof will not slide shut-it stops about 5 inches from closing completely. I read the manual and it seems that it can only be "reset" from the closed position. Help!

Also, the "Reduce oil level" light comes on, even though I've had the oil level checked twice. After driving with the reduce oil level light on, another message pops up that says Oil levels, Stop Engine. I think its the oil sensor, as it seems to come on when the engine warms a bit.

I am so frustrated and worry that I bought a lemon. Any advice totally appreciated.

Thank you!
Ok. Your probably correct about the oil level sensor. But do you gave a dipstick in that car..some of the 2004-2006 had no dipstick. But if you do have a dipstick and its the correct level. You probably have a bad level sensor.
Try looking at the sunroof track and see if anything is jammed up. Compare both sides for comparison. Try using your hand to push closed the roof while operating.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Thumbs up Great advice!

Thanks for your message, you were exactly correct about the sunroof. There was a piece of plastic in the sunroof track. And yes, the oil sensor was bad. Having it replaced now and hoping that these are just a couple of minor kinks. Other than that, the car is amazing, and drives like a dream! I have never owned a Mercedes, what a difference from ANY other driving experience! I'll never go back! Thanks again for your help!