Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Default Stereo

[align=left]Sup guys im only 15 ive only installed one custom system in my life and i did a pretty good job but my 06 c230 SS looks like it will be extremely hard to throw a system in it. Im looking to put 2 12 inch Kickers not sure about the headunit it really is not a big deal and id like some advice on the amp i should use with those subs? Thanks[/align]

Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Default RE: Stereo

Hey stuntman to tell you the truth try to stay away from kicker subwoofers. They are powerful but have no clarity. I have 2 12 inch kicker comp cvr in my other car and its just loud bass. It doesnt play a lot of the notes really good. I would recommend the ARC AUDIO FLATLINE 12D2 subwoofer. Jus one of those is more powerful than 2 12 kickers by far and the sound quality is excellent on those. I know someone who has that sub and match that with the ARC AUDIO KAR 1000V1 amplifier. It will be a little bit more than the kicker system but trust me it's worth the money. Try to get it professionally installed since mercedes uses fiber optic wiring and its a lot more complicating than a regular car.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:55 PM

stuntman - here we go brother..... ndnpimp is right, dump the Kickers. I would opt for either a JL Audio W6 or W7 setup or consider Diamond Audio. In all honesty I wouldn't replace the factory head unit as you'll lose your steering wheel controls. JL Audio makes a few devices called Clean Sweep, one is a DSP and the other is an SSI. Using them together enables your factory head unit to accept amplifiers, incorporates a 64 band digital EQ to remove the factory tuning and dead spots and also has a plug in for an Aux Input so you can run an MP3 player if you want. The DSP costs about $300 and the SSI costs about $110. You will definitely want a qualified installer to install these things as they take about 8-12 of professional installation. Due to MB's wiring even the JL Audio Tech's advise the shop doing the install to call them about 3 days prior and again during the install to help walk them through everything. I would highly encourage you to check out JL's website and read about these products. If you run a single W6 12" you can push it with the JL Audio 250/1 sub amp and I would recommend their 300.4 four channel for your mids and highs. Or you can run a 500/5 which is those two amps I just talked about in one package. All in all it ultimately depends on what you want. You have a nice classy car, don't skimp on a ghetto system or feel like it takes 2 12" woofers to get good sound quality. I would put a single JL 10W7, 10W6, or 12W7, 12W6 against 2 kicker 12's any day. Using the clean sweep will make a world of difference too as it isn't one of those JC-6 or JC-8 passive plugs that only wires into the rear speaker leads and has no equalization capability. Like I said brother, it's all about your personal preference and I'm just offering my $.02 based on my own experience. I had an Alpine system in my 02 230K Coupe and the thing I hated was not being able to use my steering wheel controls. Just some info for you to ponder.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 AM

and dont do that thing where you ride around with the bass really high so it makes cars around you shake, i hate that. BTW at 15 how did you afford the car and these asccessories you are getting.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:49 AM

just pretty much selling cars my dad set a business up for me to where i could sell cars i can get them extremely cheap at dealer auctions[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-16-2007, 02:21 AM

I own a car audio store where we do mostly high end vehicles. It depends what you want. If you are after clean sounding bass and you have a decent budget I would go with Focal kx series subwoofers with a focal amplifier. Focal will run circles around arc audio. My shop one 1st 2nd and 3rdin thesound quality category at a seattle event and all 3 vehicles were full focal systems. Also do not remove the head unit and stay away from the jl clean sweep they have alot of problems. Use an audio control lc6i or lc8 they are the top ranked factory integration piece.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:40 PM

I know I'm going against the grain here but the lc6 and 8 are passive and won't defeat the factory harmonics the way they need to in order to allow the amplifiers to perform properly. I completely forgot about Focal too, those speakers are awesome. I hate to buck the system 06 but the lc6 and 8 don't hold a candle to the Clean Sweep. The problems experienced with the CS are that several installers let their pride get the better part of their judgment and didn't ask for clarification when they should have. As I said before, it is a very complicated install and even the JL tech in Miramar says for the installer to call them prior to and during the install t make sure it is done properly. I'm not in any way taking away from your expertise and your shops obvious ability to build show winning systems, but the truth is the truth, it isn't product that's the problem, it's a combination of complexity of install and good old fashioned stubbornness that results in the CS not functioning the way it should. BTW I do appreciate the support on keeping the factory head unit. I hope I didn't offend you and if I did I'm sorry, that wasnt my intent.