Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Default speed limiter

how do you remove the 130 speed limiter on a 01 C320?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Default RE: speed limiter

Take it to a mechanic that knows where it is and how to disconnect it, or study up on how the limiter is interfaced, installed, or attached.

The problem will probably be finding a mechanic that will risk trading his license, career, or life for jail time, simply because you wanted to go faster!!! Good luck with that, though.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:03 PM

You are starting to sound pretty immature and ridiculous:

"How can I go faster...?"
"My can I beat my friends Lexus....?"
"How can I go 150 mph.....?"

It sounds to me like you simply bought the wrong car. Next
time research 0-<whatever> times and make your choice accordingly.
It sounds to me like you purchased a C320 instead of an AMG car or
a BMW M3 or some kind of a hot rod Mustang?

-Eric

Old 01-23-2008, 03:49 PM

And it appears to me that you've responded to the wrong post![>:] Read carefully so that the intend person receives your message in the spirit that you intend.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 PM

thank you 97dmsrS420for your support, and i just want to make the best of what i have. Is it really illegal to do this proceeder?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM

You know, I'm sure there is a law, but I haven't read it myself. But my gut reaction is that it's alive and well, because of the reactions you get when you ask that it be disconnected! And it may not be as cut and dry as, "It's illegal to disconnect engine speed governors" either.

It may be compilation of different laws that bear on the subject. Take for instance, the U.S. Copyright laws, or the U.S. Patent Laws, Directives and Ordinances, Trade Laws, U.S. Emissions Standards Laws, Environmental Protection Laws, etc. Somewhere in here may be a bunch of "I gotcha's."

The U.S. Speed Laws are well below the threshold of most vehicles in the U.S. that are governed by built-in Limiters. But think about, why are all of the vehicles shipped to the U.S. equipped with an Engine Speed Governor (or Limiter)? If it wasn't law, then somebody's getting over on us! But as it relates, in order to obtain maximum speed, you'd certainly have to brake a U.S. Speed Law in order to do it, wouldn't you?

There's a lot of "How To" instructions out there, but go to a reputable mechanic shop or service center and just ask for the "Speed Limiter" to be disconnected, and observe the reaction and/or response.

I think it's got everything to do with Safety, The U.S. Roadway and the U.S. Driver on that Roadway; Insurance Risk also comes to mind, because that's alot of payout.

If nothing else, you can thank the New York Times, and others who called for Engine Speed Governors. But check out this link below to find out what the minds of some are.

http://www.motorists.org/blog/speed-...-next-new-car/

If nothing else, you could be charged with a Patent Infringement, or Copyright Infringement. Because really and truly, anytime you take a vehicle (since that's what we're referring to) and you change the specifications anywhere on that vehicle, it is no longer the vehicle that the manufacturer produced. So, in effect, you have changed that vehicle but still left the manufacturers stamp on it, as if they were the ones who did it! Copyright violation, and/or Patent Infringement. Or, you say, "you put those rims on that car, or put lowering springs on that car! Yet, you didn't change that stamp on the vehicle to reflect your Name, or your manufacturing plant or company symbol. See, now you've lied, or stolen ideas, or...you've got a "knock-off." Because you don't have license to do that really. And you're probably not established or set-up a business that produces automobiles. See, now you may have an IRS issue. Too many "I Gotcha's" Amazing isn't it?

Nahhh, leave the Limiters alone. It's best that way.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM

The speed limiter is a function of the ECU. Eric Conforti and others like him have been making chips that change the fuel mapping, correct emissions related overly lean conditions and dispense with the speed limiters. There is not a law which makes disemboweling the speed limiter a crime but if modified, the car is still required to pass emissions testing. Many of the European manufacturers have gone with limiters because cheap *** American drivers have a tendency to put tires with insufficient speed ratings on when they replace factory origionals, such as putting on an "H" rated tire when the car calls for a "V" rated tire. The decision was made to do this because here in America we live in a "LAWYER'S WHOREHOUSE" wherein we are allowed to sue others for our own stupidity. As to the other's posts critical of someone who wishes to determine for himself the speed he drives, they would be well advised to mind their own business and confine their preaching about driving styles to themselves.[/align]

Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM

Don't do that! You make yourself look and sound like a blundering idiot and a complete ***, when you come pontificating things that you obviously have not researched and have not become an authority on the subject matter.

I plainly stated, that I was sure that is a law, but I have not read it. You come and stated that there is no law. I've stated that in effect that it may not be stated plainly, but may be a compilation. But now that you've done this and have potentially given the wrong advice and/or impression. Do some homework before you pontificate off-the-cuff!

Here is a website you can "begin" with, to prove or disprove what the hell you're saying:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/multidb.cgi?WAISdbName=cfr+Code+of+Federal+
Regulations+%28current+data%29&WAISqueryRule=% 28%24WAISqueryString%29&WAISqueryString=
ENGINE+SPEED+GOVERNORS&WAIStemplate=multidb_re sults.html&Submit.=Submit&WrapperTemplate= cfr
_wrapper2.html&WAISmaxHits=120

If there is law, which require there installation in the first place, disemboweling them would be in violation of what was required!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 AM

Since you consider yourself an expert in this area, perhaps you can tell me why all the AMG Mercedes cars have a governed top speed of 155mph and why all BMWs with the Sport Suspension have a governed top speed of 150mph with the M-series cars topping out at 161mph. None of the 911's, Boxters and Cayman's have that governor, in fact both the 911 Turbo and the GT3 have top speeds in excess of 190mph. I could go on but hopefully you get the point. Also, it might interest you to know that my cousin is Mike Miller who writes the technical sections for both the BMW Car Club magazine (Roundel) and BIMMER magazine. We have been over this issue numberous times and given the fact that he is recognized as an international automotive expert, I think i'm standing on solid ground; (he is also a lawyer). Ergo, I stand with what I wrote.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Listen,

I've never claimed to be an authority on any subject as pertains to this board nor the context of automobile mechanics. I come to this board just as others do, to either share information as it pertains to symptoms, diagnosis, problem solving, and the successes thereof. In context! As well, to share ideas and request information, by and large, as it relates. Never, have I acted as, or given the impression that I am Tech Certified or qualified to pontificate about any subject, as it relates.

Now, as it pertains to why vehicles are topped out at certain speeds, I have no clue. Why certain manufacturers do certain things, again, I have no clue. Do I need to know about your "lawyer-friend", hell, I have lawyer-friends too! Bunches of them! Politicians and other types, as well! But I don't tout them on this board attempting to legitimize a position or standpoint.

You said there was no law. Stand on what you've said all you like, but you're standing on sand. Now, you sound even more foolish than before. And the person that keeps his own counsel is a fool, IMO.

Simply stated, don't tell someone there is no law, until you know that to be a fact! You're the one who's practicing law without a license. Get your facts together, do some homework, quit tout people you know, as some way of legitimizing your weak, subjective, or questionable claim. Stand by yourself, until you're sure of what you're touting is reliable and true. Get your head out your butt, and stop staring at the man in the mirror so much. BTW, an Ex Pert, is a former drip!

Now, I'm done with this thread. It's academic and tired.

Quick Reply: speed limiter