Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Speaker relplacment in a 97 C230

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Default Speaker relplacment in a 97 C230

Hi,

I have a 1997 C230 Sedan, and most of the speakers are shot. The day after I purchased the car, I had Circuit City install a decent JVC head unit. Im not sure if the speakers were bad to begin with, or if they went bad over the past year of my loud music tendancies. I notcied the other day, that the 3 "loud speakers" mounted behind the back seat head rests do not function, or just one of them does.

1) Does anyone recomend a store that can help me get all these speakers replaced?

2) I do not have the Bose system, where are the amps, and do they need replaced?

3) How easy is it for me to just swap in new speakers, ive already discoverd how to remove the pannels.

4) Why do only 1 of the 3 rear speakers work?

Thanks!
Evan

P.S. I also posted in the audio forum, but then I figured this forum would be more appropriate. Sorry for the duplicate post.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Default RE: Speaker relplacment in a 97 C230

If they are Bose speakers, they would be self amp'd. That is the amp's are built into thre speakers themselves, very expensive to replace, around $900 per. But the new head unit seemed to work, so perhaps the tech was really good and by passed the amps in the speakers, or you don't have the amp'd speakers. Check all your connections to the speakers, some have fused links, such as the Bose, inline on the speaker wiring. Did all the speakers work when the new head was installed? if so, take it back to Circuit City and let them check out the leads. A lot of mass merchandise audio shops, tape all the wires behind the head unit, if an adapter is not available or not in stock. The head unit might have too much power for the speakers and just blew them up. This happened to my son, he had a complete new system installed in his Acura and when he turned up the volume real high, the subwoofer blew and the front door speakers blew. Apparently the custom audio shop he used, skimped on the speakers, and charged my son for better speakers. I sued them in small claims and won.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:12 PM

I am confident I do not have the Bose system. Can I just swap in new speakers in the door's? I can't go back to Circuit City, as they were installed a year and a half ago.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM

If indeed, you don't have bose speakers with amps. You can probably swap out the originals as long as they are drivent by th head unit. Have you taken a look in your trunk. According to what the oem system is there could be an amp on the trunk wall behind the carpeting. On my 99 C280 it is on the drivers of the trunk. You will need a panel pulling tool to get off the clips. Check this first and see if you have a amp on EITHER side of the trunk.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM

I will check. I believe there is an Amp, as Circuit City charged me for some extra cable or something b/c there was one.

Reguardless if the amp is driving them or not, cant I just swap them out if they have the right power ratings?