Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Reset Brake Service Reminder

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Default Reset Brake Service Reminder

I found instructions on how to reset the service A and B, but how do you reset the brake service reminder?

I've been quoted as much as $1200 for a four wheel job I can do for $400 in my driveway. I don't trust anyone, they all have a different story as to what's needed.

This is a 2006 C230 Sport.

Also, anyone have good luck using the Raybestos or other replacement pads? Everyone is trying to talk me into the $110 per axle MB OP's, as well as replacing all four rotors. Front rotorsare scored (nice the light went on AFTER they were screwed up, at only 20,500 mi), but the backs are smooth as a baby's bottom.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Default RE: Reset Brake Service Reminder

I believe your car has one brake sensor on the right front only, as my '05 C230 does. When the pad wears to a point, the sensor trips, the light goes on, and it's time to do the brakes. When you replace the front pads, you will use a new sensor (about 7 bucks if you shop around) and the light
telling you it's brake time should be off when you install the sensor. As far as turning the rotors goes, people are split on what to do here. Some say you should not turn a drilled rotor, such as the ones on the front of my car. Some say you can. Dealer will not do it. Of course. If the rears are not worn and still smooth, you can use them the way they are. Some would say if you're going to do the job, turn them anyway to be sure they are not warped at all, even though they are smooth. So, there are lots of opinions out there. I bought four rotors and used the MB pads. They are not "dust free" as they like to call them. Even EBC green pads are not dust free. Just a different color dust and less of it. That's MY opinion.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 PM

Mercedes never recommends turning rotors. The rotors are soft to give optimal braking and will usually last two sets of pads till they need replacement depending on driving style and climate. If the lip is heavy then they should be replaced. best thing to do is measure them. min thickness is stamped on the hat of the rotor, that is your safe bet.
There is no resetting of the light needed. just put on the new pads and sensors and your on your way.
I don't recommend aftermarket brake pads and they may chew up your rotors quite fast. Factory pads and rotors are made to work together to give you the best stopping distance andI consider this a safety device. You wouldn't trust your life to an aftermarket airbag?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 AM

I just got my brakes done on my '03 C240--I called all over town trying to find the best price...I was ready to give up and take it to the dealership who was going to charge me $595 to do the front brake pads & rotors and rear pads (the rotors were OK). I stumbled into a shop next to an Advanced Auto Parts and the guy that runs it owns a MB and Porsche--he did the whole job for $420 using OEM parts. He also offered to do my oil changes for $70 using the Mobil 1 etc...so check around...you might be surprised--it's always nice to find MB owners working/running regular mechanic shops (they know what these cars need)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 AM

So, the real answer to this brake thing is that you can do it yourself or take it to one of many different places including a dealership and the price for a complete brake job is going to depend on how many and what parts you want to buy and where you buy them. Another good idea might be to take a look at the color of your brake fluid in the master cylinder and decide if you want to flush it all at the time of your brake job. Not all prices are quoted with this.
Again, there are so many opinions on when this should be done, I don't even want to go there.....but......when the wheels are off during a brake job is a great time to do this often overlooked job. Simple, too.