Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Replace brake pads after 11,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Default Replace brake pads after 11,000 miles?

On my 2006 C230. Do you think this is typical?

Old 05-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Default RE: Replace brake pads after 11,000 miles?

it all depends on your driving habits but I have seen pads last from 8000-30000 miles.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:07 PM

Wow, that is very fast.

I have a 2003 C230 Kompressor and I just changed the front pads, with 93,000 KM. Granted that is with about 45,000 KM highway miles. I have a six speed manual and I try to use the brakes as little as possible, down shift when I can but I would be very upset at 11,000 Miles.

That just seems to me to be very low mileage.

Good luck. Hope it gets better for you.

Cheers,

Trygve

Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 AM

I just had the same "problem" diagnosed after my 12k mile service. Genteleman stated that my pads are under the minimum, brought some print out to prove it and wanted $700 for replaements, I literally drive to and from work in the city about 10 miles a day and thats it, I stated to him thats almost impossible. He was quick to state its ok if you deny the repairs, if need be any place in LA that I can get those pads changed quick and cheap??

Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM

Ok, lets discuss this.

More info about the $700 estimate? What is that for? Front pads, Rear pads, both, rotors, etc?

They should have stated what work needed to be done. You are certainly not at his mercy. Jack the car up, remove a wheel on the axle and look at the pads. You can usually see the pads resting in the caliper by the rotor. How thick do they look?

While I admit it helps to know about how thick the pads are new - this visual inspection will give you an idea.

Also - I thought that these fancy Benzes had sensors that light a dash light when the pads are low. If this did not light up - ask him why? My BMW used to do that.

I recently had the tires replaced on my Miata. They said "your frontpads are down around 10%". I said..."I believe it, I have never changed them and they have at least 60k on them". I did not opt to replace them - after all if there is 10% left that is another 6000 miles - almost a year according to how much I drive it.

I highly recommend for that you folks that are baffled by these comments/warnings from Mechanics and Service Writers do some research on these typical parts of your cars so you know when to believe them and when to tell them to take a hike!

-Eric

Old 05-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Eric thank you for the 411, supposedly just the front pads! just the pads is what I was told. I asked another straight up benz dealer and he said that if such a thing were to happen a light would pop up saying "BrakeWear" I told the mechanic, hmmm let me check ill get back to you NOT!!! Where can I get such stats for the c230 as far as average brake wear is concerned?? Thank you for the information and the quick reply, I might by the parts off ebay and have a mechanic install it, any other places on the net for cheap benzo parts? Thanks Alen

Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM

I think $700 for just pads is too much.

At that point ask for the breakdown in parts and labor.

If it takes them 2 hours - which should be the max - that might be about $225 or so in labor. The pads themselves are likely about a $100 item. Then there may be sensors and fluid maybe $50. So this quote is about twice as much as I would expect to pay for this service as described.

I recommend AGAINST buying brake pads and taking them to some mechanic to install for you. This is similar to bringing your Steak to a restaurant and asking them to prepare it for you. You will not score ANY points with the mechanic. In addition when you buy your parts and service from the mechanic it is all warranted from the same source, etc.

That is not to say I have not done this - but only AFTER being quoted a ridiculous price for the parts.
This is how it went down...I took my car to a shop to get shocks, it was an old Porsche 912. They quoted twice what I knew I could get the shocks for. I explained I could buy the shocks for 1/2 price and he should be able to get them for less since he buys wholesale and I had to buy retail. I went the additional mile in citing my source and asking him to buy them there. He said "we do not buy from them". So I bought them and delivered them to the shop. He was not terribly pleased - but he tried to gouge a knowledgable customer and I called him on it.

Hopefully you can find a good Mercedes Benz mechanic who will treat you well and charge you reasonable prices - and you will be comfortable enough with them to allow them to make a reasonable profit on parts. They need that to stay in business.

-Eric

Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM

If the pads are replaced before the wear sensor is activated it seems the sensor would not have to be replaced. Does anyone know this to be true.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:35 PM

thats like trying to reuse a condom, theres no point in trying to save 20 bucks and most of the time it will be damaged upon removal from the old pad. most places charge 1hr labor for pads per axle, 2hr rotors and pads. sbc brakes, and brake bleed services are extra.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:47 AM

My W203 C320 AUTOhas done 35,000 miles on the fronts, thats combined driving - with somebody (me) who is usually heavy on the breakes.
My rear have done 30k since I changed them.
I live in a city fully of hills in Europe
The wear senson light has not come on yet, when it does It will required new front disks (rotors) and pads (145,000 miles total), thats £130 ($250 US) for branded parts!

It maybe worth doing it yourself, 12mm spanner (usually) and a couple of hours. Recruit the help of somebody a frind who is mechanically minded.

Otherwise, buy the genuine Parts from Mercedes and take it to a garage, any genuine garage will be more than happy to put your parts on, they will only guarantee the work, Mercedes guarantee the actual part.
Buy genuine MB parts, they are really not that expensive - and that way to a 3rd party mechanic it seems more genuine that you dont want to pay the rip off STEARLERSHIP hourly rate - and you're giving them the work!

Best of Luck!!!

ORIGINAL: ValerieM

On my 2006 C230. Do you think this is typical?

Quick Reply: Replace brake pads after 11,000 miles?