Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

red light that looks like cherry bomb

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Default red light that looks like cherry bomb

Please be patient and nice here... I'm clueless and in a bind. I'm travelling for work and not near my regular mechanic. Not knowing where to go here ---- I at least want to have some idea of what I'm getting into if I go to a local repair shop. Come on guys... they see a gal walking in the door and it's like "ching, ching"... and I don't have major $ to spend while I'm travelling.

I've got a '99 C230 kompressor (120K miles) and just had all fuel filters changed and a sensor replaced for the BAS/ASR light that came on. I had a oil/filter change about a month ago...but lots of miles since then. I've driven about 1,000 miles since they fixed the BAS/ASR and now have a light on the dashboard that's turned on. It's a red light looks like a cherry bomb. Any advice is welcome.

thanks
Benz chick

Old 08-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Default RE: red light that looks like cherry bomb

Panic!

Now that you have that over with, I do not have any clue as to what light is lit. Is there any chance that you have the owner's manual and can identify it?

Chances are you can just drive it, but then again, maybe not. If it is low oil pressure, your engine is at risk, and you should call a tow truck. If it is the alternator, then worst case is a dead battery and no start. At least it is int he few hundred dollar range. You have to kind of expect that at your milage. Try this. start the car, let it idle. Turn on the lights, a moderate load. then turn on the fan, that is a sizeable load. If the lights dim your alternator is not keeping up. Rev up just a little to see if there is any improvement. If not, you ned an alternator.

The other major risk is low coolant. You just remove the radiator cap(not when hot) and look. If it is down, add some water and off you go.

I am wondering if it is a brake warning light. If so, you are probably down a bit on brake fluid. It is easy to top off, but you get that way when your brake pads are almost worn out.

I am just guessing in the wind here, not knowing just what the light is.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: red light that looks like cherry bomb

W202 or W203?

was it not the bulb failure indicator?