Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Rear Fog Lamp

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Default Rear Fog Lamp

I have a 2002 C200.
There are 2 foglights in the rear.
For some reason MB only puts one on, on the driver side.
The bulb is there but no wire connection.
In my 123, I had no problem hooking it up so that both the fogs come on.
When I did that in my 2002 C, the display on the speedo comes up with a light check warning.
Is there anyway I could reprogram it to accept the two foglights?
Thanks.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:34 AM
Default RE: Rear Fog Lamp

The single-rear foglamp was purposely designed, so the driver behind you won't mistaken it for brake lights.
If you look at some other Euro-spec vehicles, a lot of them has only one rear fog lamp, and the lamp on the right (passenger side) is the "reverse" lamp.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:35 AM

My 99 C 280 has one rear fog, on the left side, however the right side uses the same bulb and if you put it in a certain way it is as bright as the left fog. turn it around and it's at it normal brightness. Very strange setup, also I don't get any check engine lights or light bulb out single ont the dash is the right side is set on the fog side. Interesting, I played around with it for a couple of days and confirmed to my satisfaction all you need to do in my car is turn the right bulb around ad you got fogs on both sides. My stop lights are still brighter then the fogs by the way.

Old 05-28-2004, 01:15 AM

But mine has no wire connection.
I had to tap the connection from the wire going to the working fog.
The bulb is there but the pin is not connected as standard.
I would like to have both fogs on especially during severe thunderstorms which are not uncommon in my country - Malaysia.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:34 PM

But the rear of your car will be more noticeable with one light brighter than the other. It looks abnormal and hence is more noticeable. That's the point isn't it?

Old 06-02-2004, 12:25 AM

That may be so.
But I like symmetry.
I would still prefer to see both the right and left fogs come on!
Any suggestions other than running to the MB guys.
Shan.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:00 PM

You would still like to "see" them both on??? Sounds like you'll be in the wrong position if you can see them when they are on. Personally, I think you should leave it as be. Although, it's not a universal thing, many people know about the single rear fog lamp. Those who do will almost always mistake two rear fog lamps for brake lights, I know I would. Besides the light(s) are the same distance from a rear approaching driver, so if one is not visible due to a heavy rain, neither would be visible if you had two lit up.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:53 PM

As I said on my 99 C280 all I had to do to get the same brightness as the fog light was to turn the bulb around. On my car the same bulb is used on both sides, two filaments. I don't know if this is correct, but according to my dealer the right side bulb shows the same part number, I switch the right side bulb around the other nite and bingo, just as bright as the fog. I don't know if it supposed to work that way, but mine does, when I first discoverd this I kept the rear fog on at nite and had the right side bulb turned to the bright position and had no problems, My stop lights seem as bright as the fogs when you press the peddle down, I had my son press the peddle and compared. But I changed the right side back to the lower intensity, because as some have mentioned, there are quite a few bad drivers and there is a chance someone would get confused and perhaps an accident occurs, so I would leave them they way they are suppose to be, If you want bright stop lights get a pair of hologen bulbs for the stops they are very bright.

Old 06-04-2004, 05:55 PM

Good point in your last sentence!