Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Question C230

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Default Question C230

Have you found Mercedes to be reliable (in general)?

It seems my last post might have been a little daunting. Too many questions possibly? So I will boil it down to this one question.

Thanks for responding.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Default RE: Question C230

MinRan,
I will take a shot at this since no one else has.

My data may be irrelevant since I bought/own a 2006 C230 Sport which is a slightly different animal than a 2005. In '06 they introduced a small V6 as the bottom line engine replacing the Supercharged 4 Banger in previous years. My car also has a new 7 speed Automatic.

From my monitoring of this Forum (primarily) and others less routinely, the owners of '06 and '07 C230's seem to not be having many issues with them - as has been my experience. I am on about month 15 and 7300 miles of perfect motoring.

Also from my research the early 2000's C Classes had quality problems in several areas (mainly electronics) that tarnished this cars image and that of MBZ too. It seems that *maybe* with the newercars things are improving. I cannot comment on '05's though.

Service A and B are the 2 Service Types that the cars computer keeps track of and alerts you to have performed at certain intervals. This is very similar to BMW's system(s) too.

Service A is mostly a $200 Oil Change. Service B is more extensive.

The cost of maintenance and ownership is relative. Are you driving a BMW now, a Lexus or a Toyota? If you are driving another luxury make the ownership costs of a C Class probably won't alarm you. If a C Class is a large leap - like you are driving a Civic now - it may be alarming.

I owned 2 BMW 3's prior to the C Class and the maintenance portion is much the same. It is certainly more than my wifes Honda Pilot and my beloved '97 Miata.

I do have concerns about this car and driving it as you have planned for 8-10 years. I leased it to take a 39 month test drive under warranty with it. I have the option to walk away at 39 months or purchase it for about $22k. I will certainly buy A GOOD LONG WARRANTY if I buy it.

This is a complicated car. The parts seperated are worth WAY MORE than the WHOLE on this car. Fortunately I mostly drive my Miata and the Benz is a bit of a garage queen right now. It is still like new at 15 months and a delight to drive.

I am slowly becoming a believer in the car - but seeing will be believing.

If I had just under 30k and wanted to buy something fun to drive with the intention
of keeping it for 10 years a Subaru Impreza WRX STi would fit the bill.....

-Eric