Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Picking Up my new C230 Sports Sedan Tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Default Picking Up my new C230 Sports Sedan Tomorrow!

Hi all,
I have just joined the forum and have given a brief intro in the appropriate section. I am (well almost) the proud papa of a 2006 C230 Sports Sedan that I am picking up tomorrow. Black/Charcoal, 7G-Tronic, and Xenons. I think (and hope!!) that I purchased a great car which has had the earlier problems worked out of it. Then again, NO car is perfect, right? so I can forgive the occasional hiccup. Any opinions, advise, comments you can give a first-time Mercedes owner on this particular model?
BTW-My other car is a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro driven by my wife. My previous drive was a company supplied 2006 Audi A3 2.0T. I have purchased the Merc as my new employer does not provide a company vehicle.
Cheers, and thanks in advance to all that take the time to answer.
Michael

Old 09-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Default RE: Picking Up my new C230 Sports Sedan Tomorrow!

Welcome to the forum![sm=bounceybounce.gif]

MB had some quality problems from 2001-2004, but from what I read, every year since has been better.

What interests me is that you ride a Pinarello with Campy components. Sweet.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM

Desmo,
I am about 6-7 months and about 4000 miles into mine '06 C230 and all is well and very satisfied. Per my Login name, I came from a BMW.

I think you will like it too.

I think my '97 Miata, btw, is almost perfect.

-Eric

Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 PM

I'm only 4 months (but 7,400 miles) into my '06 C230. It's still true love.

The one area that most people seem to have issues with is the 7-speed tranny, particularly in the instance of hard downshifts from 2 to 1 (or maybe 3 to 2?). When you get your owners manual, read it. I came across a recommendation that Comfort mode be used for the first 1,500 miles (that number is from my faulty memory), and that you gradually increase the demands on the engine/tranny during that period. I'm pretty sure this coincides with the "learning" period of the transmission, where it's figuring out how to shift to match your driving style.

I did as instructed, and am by and large thrilled with the 7-speed. It's smooth, quiet, and when dropped into Sport mode scoots the car nicely. In the 7,400 miles I've driven, I'd say that the tranny has done the rough downshift thing maybe 5 times, almost always when in surging bumper to bumper conditions where I'm doing a lot of go-go-go-woops-coast-coast-coast stuff. It's not something that happens once, and then every shift thereafter, but more of a just when the conditions are right (wrong?) kind of thing. (For the record, wifey purchased a CLS 500, also with the 7-speed, and although it has nowhere near the mileage, it seems to be mirroring the performance of my tranny in the C230).

Other tips:
- The MB IPod interface is cool; keeps the IPod charged in the glove-box, and lets you drive it via the wheel buttons and see song info on the multifuntion in the dash. Note that if you don't turn the shuffle option on inside the IPod itself, it will play songs in order (even, I think, if the playlist selected is Shuffle).
- I didn't get the MB Sirius satellite head, but did have Car Toys install sat audio after the fact. The small head (named Starbase?) replaced the cig/tray and lighter (the door still closes to hide things), the antenna is invisibily mounted somewhere up near the front grill (I think I'd have to open the hood to find it), and the wired link to the radio shows up a just another FM station (cleaner reception than an RF link).
- The all-weather floor mats have raised edges that will help keep water out of your floor carpets. Water + time + carpets -> smell.
- Wifey fixed a buzz coming from the glovebox door by putting some felt cushions on the end of a rubber bumper that touches the door.
- Get the MB sunscreen; it fits the front window in a tailored fashion, and looks much nicer than the generic sized floppy eyeball alternatives.

Enjoy your new ride!

Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 PM

danbrady,
Are you nuts! Just using a sunshield on this fine automobile! E Gads! I keep mine
under a car cover so the Granite Grey does not fade...

-Eric

Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 PM

Just wondering since you guys are both enjoying your new vehicles, do you see any threat by the new C-class shape planned for 2008, do you think it will outdate the current one..

Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 PM

looks much nicer than the generic sized floppy eyeball alternatives.
What's a "floppy eyeball" sunshade look like and why don't you like them? Sounds like you're being a snob regarding sunshades.
I think any sunshade that blocks the sun should be accepted fully in the family of sunshades. After all, one man's floppy eyeball is another man's droopy or lazy eyeball. I say, don't descriminate due to the eye type resemblance of one's sunshade. Accept all. Only then will we have harmony in the parking lot.[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 PM

Washoor,
Personally I do not care about that.

I think the '06 C230 Sport is a very good and very attractive design and will stand
the test of time well.

This is my first MBZ after 2 BMW's. I had two E36 BMW's a Sedan then a Coupe. It
too was a classic design. The E46 that came next is arguably an even better looking
car - but the current one sent me shopping at MBZ.

I am happy with the '06 and certainly won't be looking to get an upgrade anytime soon.

-Eric

Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 AM

2006 C 230 and 5 months old. That car has given me the looks and compliments that make me feel proud of it. I bought a stick shift and it grips the road so beutifully that i can keep driving the car all the time if someone would put gas in it for me. Hopefully i'll find a sugar moma!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM

What's a "floppy eyeball" sunshade look like and why don't you like them?
Hehe. That particular type of sunshade is the type that we kept when we traded in wifey's Land Rover on a CLS 500. Still use it (on her car). Essentially silvered/black fabric on metal hoops that can be twisted into smaller loops for storage if you have the right technique. But they don't block the corners of the windows as well, catch on the mirror all of the time, and storing them at times feel like you're wrestling to try and put a pop-up snake back in it's trick can. So, ok, call me a sunshade snob ; it's just that I own both types and the custom fit jobby from MB is sooo much nicer to use on a daily basis.

Now when it comes to a car cover; it wouldn't suit my particular situation. I expect to reach 6 figure milage in the C230 in just over 4 years, and I live in the Denver area (Colorado, USA). The weather here has rapidly varying temps in winter, and the road crews use rocks/pebbles instead of salt for winter driving conditions. Protecting the finish from sun damage isn't going to help the exterior that much compared to the regular beatings it will get each winter. I've also found that Zaino 3 times a year pretty much keeps the finish in tip-top shape, and my cars always end up looking much newer than they are.

As for the 2008 body style; I don't at the moment feel compelled to wait. The '06 C class is a gorgeous vehicle when parked next to anything else on the road today; I expect it will still look mighty fine in a couple of years. Classic lines and good looks. That's not to say I won't considering trading up when the 08s come out, but I suspect that the '06 C is at a price point that might not been seen in a couple of years. With my mileage situation, I'm starting to eyeball the MB desiel varients of the E as a potential trade-up target down my own timeline. A 320 CDI verion of the C would be sweet!

Quick Reply: Picking Up my new C230 Sports Sedan Tomorrow!