Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance diff. between C230 and C240

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Default performance diff. between C230 and C240

I'm shooting for a C230, but was wondering about the C240, and how it is different from the Kompressor one, i know C240 takes more Gas, but even with that, the Specs say it has less HP(168), compared to the 190HP u get from the Kompressor, which has a better MPG

So MBENZ experts, please give ur advice for which is a better engine..

Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Default RE: performance diff. between C230 and C240

(I'm no MB expert, just an owner). I've got the '06 C230, which has the 201HP V6. Smallest offering in '06, but I think MB hit the sweet spot with it. Plenty of zip, and I often see 33 mpg "after start" on my commute home (lifetime so far is 29.2 mpg, Consumer Reports pegs it at 32 mpg highway). I'm pretty sure that the '07 C230 is getting a flex fuel version of the engine, which sadly will hurt the mpg numbers across the board (it's 14/19 mpg when using E85, and I can't find a web quote on what the gasoline nbrs are.)

My prior car was a supercharged Mini Cooper, which started out it's life at 163HP and recieved mod after mod over a couple of years to end up as a 220HP little beast. Oddly enough, it seemed like the additional HP actually helped rather than hurt the mileage numbers. Anyway, I would definitly characterize the blown 4-banger in the Mini as a 4-banger; small engine that struggled off the line, then screamed like a bat out of hell. Fun; a veritable grin machine, but definitly asking the engine for performance, and much more variable across the rmp range. The Mini was "geared" for it's smaller engine, seeing higher rpms at highway speeds than the C230. The V6 I have now is smoother across the board, and as I don't drag race for a living, I really appreciate it's refinement. So when it comes to which was a "better engine", it really boils down to what type of experience you're looking for. My current taste runs to easy power with little fuss, and decent economy; but don't let anyone tell you that a properly blown 4 is inferior, it's just different.

Now that I think of it, you might want to try and compare torque curves for the engines you're intested in. For instance, my '06 C230 is rated at 201 HP, but that occurs way the heck up at 6,250 rpm. I hardly ever get up there, so the lower/mid portion of the power band is what I see on a daily basis. What most of us like is the ease with which an engine can rush a car forward, and that's more a function of torque than horsepower.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 PM

I've had a 2001 C240 since Sept 2000 whey they first came out. It has 66,500 miles or so on it now.

The major difference between the C240 and the C230 Kompressor ( I drove many loaners while servicing my car) is that the C240 feel more upscale with the wood inserts in the dash and on the doors and has as slightly softer ride for everyday driving. The interior of the C230 has the rubber with metal inserts which is more sporty but less to my taste for a Mercedes.

The C230 on the other hand, has a more sporty suspension and with the 225/50VR16 tires, feels a little more planted on twisty roads. However, I had upgraded my tires on the C240, using the same factory rims, to the 225s after the original ones wore out so the difference is not as noticeable now as it used to be when I still had the 205s with the H rated tires. having said that, it would be very hard to need more handling capabilities on a daily basis than the factory C240 -without the sport package- provides without getting the cops attention pretty quickly. On my test drive back in 2000, prodded by the salesman, I took a corner at about 70 mph that most people would not take at more than 40 mph. I expected for the ESP to kick in but the car handled it fine with not ESP intevention.

As far as mileage goes, my last 3,560 miles have averaged exactly 23.8 mpg on my 2001 the C240. That's mixed non-agressive average driving with about 60-70 percent highway.

A couple of weekends ago, I drove a 2006 C230 with the new 2.5 Liter 201HP engine. It got 20.8 mpg with some agressive driving mixed with 150 mostly highway miles with speeds mostly over 60 mph. I don't know how danbrady is getting over 30 mpg. He must have the tire pressure way above the recommended 26 psi front and 32 psi back which usually results in about only 2 mpg more. Or, perhaps he drives all highway all the time.

As far as power goes, I do not notice a huge difference between the C240, C230 Kompressor or the new C230 with the V6. The handly is better on the Sportier 2006 and the Kompressor feels at bit lighter in the front and gives me the impression of better handling.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:19 PM

He drives highway all of the time. 45 miles each way to work, about 4 stoplights, the rest is 60-72 mph cruising.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:53 PM

Cool comparisons between the 2 engines .. but then why did mercedes stop kompressor starting 06, and continued with the V6, u think maybe some problems with the K ?

Old 09-02-2006, 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: washoor

Cool comparisons between the 2 engines .. but then why did mercedes stop kompressor starting 06, and continued with the V6, u think maybe some problems with the K ?
My guess would be that its easier for them to sell 6s rather than blown 4s. There is a perception in the general public that one is better than the other; especially in the US there is a view that a 4-banger is a toy engine. The ricer-racer crowd thinks differently, but they don't buy Mercedes Benzes. Rather than have to work at convincing people that the blown 4s are just as capable, MB can start the sales process from the basis of "oh, if it's a 6 then it will have decent performance". The automotive press in particular was not kind to MB about their introduction of 4-cylinder engines from the start, but fell all over themselves lauding MB when they switched to the 6. They're pretty talented when it comes to overlooking facts as well.

The facts may be that the blown 4 matches or betters the 6 in a number of characteristics, but facts impact business decisions about as often as they impact buying desicions.[X(]

Old 09-06-2006, 03:18 PM

danbrady>
Couldn't have summarized it better myself. After just driving the '06 V6 C230, I am convinced MB got rid of the four cyl. for two main reasons. As my service rep. commented, people were bothered that a MB had so much noise coming from the four cyl. engine with a blower, and the V6 is definitely smoother while driving it. All around. I also think maintenance was an issue for them, but I don't think they would ever admit it. He kinda did though.
The blown four cyl. might have a "sportier" feel to it, and get a bit better mileage but I think it's probably gone for good now. Oh, by the way, I have three cars, all supercharged.......two I did myself.......so, it's not that I'm bashing the car I bought. I just think MB decided that was enough of that whole four cyl. thing. Oh, yes. I'm the guy with the '05 whose car just ate it's supercharger to the tune of three grand. Uhhh.....yeah.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM

I agree with your summary as well. In fact I have done a little test at my work. I have an 04 C230 Kompressor w mods. that includes dyno matting the firewall and doors for quiter road noise (cut by half) and headers with a straight exhaust but i quieted that with 2 high flow magnaflow catalysts. anyone that saw it and saw the K knew it was a "baby benz". commented that you can get a nicer car similiar to or "better than it" for the same price in the asian v6 market. I love it and it does get into 31.4 mpg agressive driving w pulley and custom made airboxthats like ram air thru the new grille.

FUNNY PART IS EVERYONE LOVES MY BOSS'S C32 and isnt the body the same on both cars pretty much the interior too. yet my car gets the oh its just not luxury enough or its too small but hers is just right and it feels refined. she agrees most people dont get the big picture and besides some normal wear and tear my car runs acts and treats me great for the price. Would most of you agree?

Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Funny you bring this up, our Black 06 c230 is the lowest HP car our family has had in a long time. I believe it could use another 100hp, but I guess that's what the C63 is for

But I'm a little abnormal as I've always tuned everything I've owned from adding superchargers, to strokers to simple bolt-ons.

I would be interested to find out if there is an aftermarket roots type supercharger for this car, or should I just save up my beans for a C63 or E63?

Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM

I too have a '06 C230 Sport and think the HP is fine on this little six. It is all relative, before the C230 I had a series of two BMW 318i's with the sweet but underpowered 4 cylinder. In addition my other car is a Miata with about 140hp...so the C230 moves me pretty good.

The major factor for me between a C230 Sport and a C240 is the "Sport". While I do like the wood trim in the C240's the staggered wheels and aggressive looks of the C230 Sport made all the difference to me.

-Eric

Quick Reply: performance diff. between C230 and C240