Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on XADO and Lucas

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Default Opinions on XADO and Lucas

Hey guys, I just wanted to get ya'll's, I know that's not even close to a word, opinions on Lucas oil treatment and XADO oil treatment. My local independet MB uses Lucas and loves it. He is a former MB master mechanic, so I kind of trust his input. However, I would love to get your input.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Opinions on XADO and Lucas

A friend of mines dad has been workin on cars for years and he swears by Lucas i have never personally used it i have used STP oil treatment in my old Isuzu Trooper seemed to increase power. Tryed all kinds of different stuff in the 300SDL never noticed any difference not yet changed the oil in the 560 even though i have owned it over a year but have only put 5000k miles on it and it had just been changed b4 i bought it. I plan on changing it in a couple weeks but dont plan on adding anything.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:07 AM

Mercedes has never to my knowledge recommeded additives to their cars. Either oil or gas. When I bought my 79 450SLC, the car had been driven 5K miles in the last 15 yers. It was sluggish, even my favorite mechanic said to use 92 octane gas for the first couple of tankful. He did add an additve to the auto transmiisson, he is a big believe. It was Lucas I believe. To tell you the truth I added EXp2 to the gasoline on the 79 and after the first tankful the mileage increawe dramaticly. I also added EXp@ oil additive. On my 99 C280 I don't use any additves at all. Mercedes won't a warranty repair if the damage was caused by an additive. Lastly except for Lucas and EXP most of these additive have questionable effects IMHO.

Xado never heard of it or saw it here in New England at least.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:10 PM

Just keep your oil clean with regular oil and filter changes. Oil additives are a waste of money.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:52 PM

I really have no opinion and don't use them, except for Lucas fuel treatment. I only use it because I buy my gas at costco, and it doesn't have the same cleaners and addititives that Chevron, Shell, etc have. But like I said that local MB guy loves Lucas oil treatment. He said when he worked at the dealership he saw many engines that had problems from slick 50 and other bs additives, because they have teflon in them. But Lucas doesn't have it and he uses it in all of his cars and is yet to have a problem. So keep up the input, I am very interested to see what other people think. I will tell you that on Club202.com many of those people swear by XADO, you can find it on EBAY. I don't really know much about it that's why I hope someone on here knows something about it. I treat this stuff like snake oil, I don't trust it or use it, but I keep up with it just in case there is a high quality product I could take advantage of.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:30 PM

Oil additives are something no one wants to spend their time and money on to prove or disprove as far as effectiveness. But all the manufacturers recommend that they NOT be used. I don't understand why people then insist on using them. Is it a reverse psychology thing? An act of rebellion? WTF?

Do you know who Costco buys their gas from? They don't make their own, you know? Would it surprise you to learn that they probably buy gas from Chevron, Shell, etc. if the price is right? Costco buys from the lowest bidder at the time they need to buy gas. They don't care what the company is as long as it's the cheapest.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:59 AM

Well I must tell you that I am very scared of using any type of oil or tranny additives. There are too many delicate things that could go wrong. However, I am not too worried about using a fuel treatment, I mean it goes into the tank through the filter and blows up. I will also tell you that before using it I got on average about 20.23 miles a gallon with mixed driving. This was over a three month period, after about four months of using it twice a month, on average I get about 21.67 miles a gallon. My routine really hasn't shifted either. Not a huge gain, but certainly a difference. By far though the old tried and true method of maint. makes the biggest difference. I have gone through three full tanks of gas since I changed the spark plugs and fuel filter and on those three tanks I have gotten 24.27 miles a gallon. So, I am with you Lugnut I don't believe in them, I am kind of agnostic when it comes to them, I don't use them except for the fuel treatment, and that's already in every brand of gas we buy just about, instead I just have no opinion due to lack of experience with them. But I have to think that there is always a trade off. Maybe it's a band aid in some situations, but it won't fix what's wrong and probably causes more damage later.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:27 AM

You don't need a gas additive every time you fill the tank either. It's okay once in awhile to clean the injectors or to remove moisture if it's present or you suspect it is. This is true no matter which brand of gas you use.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:30 PM

Hmm....these things are more or less snake oil.

However, I must admit that I am quite tempted to try AutoRx.

( Don't ask me what it is, just google it. )

Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 AM

AutoRx doesn't do any more than what regular oil and filter changes do. Moreso if you use synthetic oil since it resists sludging far beyond the time you'd normally leave it in your engine. I think it may be appropriate for a "neglected" engine that's in need of internal cleaning, though I don't think it will work any magic.

Quick Reply: Opinions on XADO and Lucas