Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Okay... jokes on me... mercedez oil change...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Default Okay... jokes on me... mercedez oil change...?

I've changed a lot of car's oil but it doesn't look like I'll be doing this one myself. Either the crouts have a bit of down or they're extremely spiteful for losing the war cause NO ONE in their right mind would make a drain plug this hard to find!!!!!!! What the heck is wrong with this car? I cannot, and I mean CANNOT for the life of me find the darn oil drain plug on my 2004 c230!!! Any suggestions? I think it's under a panel or cover of sorts but I could be wrong. Can someone please make a suggestion so I don't have to pay the $75 for a stinkin' oil change? Thank you...

Old 11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Default RE: Okay... jokes on me... mercedez oil change...?

Your going to have to remove the plastic skid cover to get to the drain plug. I have a 2005 so itmight be in the same location on the oil pan. It is on the right side rear (Passanger side) of the panon the side.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:44 PM

Sure about that, mello? The oil drain plug on my '05 C230K is on the driver's side of the pan. Hmmmmmm.

OK>here's the deal on your drain plug. Mercedes doesn't care where the plug is or how many belly pans there are covering it up because
when you take your car to them, they don't drain the oil by taking out the drain plug. That's right. They don't even lift the car in the air to do it.
They have a tool that sucks the oil out of the pan from the engine compartment. People like you and I who want to change their own oil have to get under the car and remove both pans and pull the plug. It's no big deal if you just lift the front of the car as I do on some ramps I have.
You can slide under there and get to the small hex-head "screws" with a socket and that will expose the oil pan. You will see the drain plug on the side of the pan. It has a copper gasket as well, but regardless of what anybody says, you don't need a new one each time. The oil filter is at the back of the firewall on the driver's side and looks like a black plastic canister with a large hex head "nut" on top. I use a huge socket to get it off.
The filter will come with three rubber O-rings. Lube them and replace them on the plastic piece that is part of the cap. Just pull the filter off. Kind of messy, so be prepared. Buy your filters online and save. Don't try finding them at the local Pep Boys. You won't. Buy the Mobil 1 on sale somewhere and go for it. My '05 C230K takes 5.8 quarts. DO NOT overfill the dern thing. Hope this helps you out.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM

Wow. Thank you for the lengthy response and yes, it does help out. Thank you both actually for giving it a whirl. I guess I'll just take it in. I moved and before moving, I'd go to this guy who charged what he charged for any car, $36.00, filter included. Thing is, he told me that everyone can and should charge the same but since it's a mercedez, they don't. After asking the difference and why they charge more he said, "don't know, cause it's a benz I guess but there is really no difference except the amount of oil."

Get that!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 AM

Sorry, I tend to overdo the explanations now and then. OK, more now than then. Ha!

At $36.00, you were getting a deal! The filters alone for a C230K online are about $13.00. If you buy enough of them,
there's no shipping charge.
If you buy Mobil 1 synthetic these days, it's about $5.00 plus a quart (depending on where you buy it).
The car takes 5.8 quarts, so do the math. That's $43.00 minimum, no tax, etc.

Of course, you can use any oil you want, but I buy the Mobil 1 (factory fill) and stick with it.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Hmmm now you have me wanting to crawl under to check I have to do another oil change in a couple days so I'll know for sure. [/align]I was quoted $50.00 at some local shops and their explanation was because of the type oil required and the added labor to remove the lower cover. Autozone can get the filter but they said it can take a week at times so I just went to the dealer for the kit. [/align]

Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM

mello> and that's why I order a bunch of filters online.....so they are always sitting there in my garage ready to go. I get the cabin
filters there also....nice to have a few handy to just pop in (over the battery in the black cover w/ clips on it). COSTCO just had a
screamin' sale on Mobil 1 ( I think it was $9 off a six-pack), so I stocked up. Limit 2 six-packs, but hey....who cares.

Now don't spend too much time lookin' for that drain plug on the passenger side! Ha!
Just teasin' you.[8D]

Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM

It's all in fun no worries. I have not thought about checking Costco for the oil usually go to Walmart. Yeah I was going to pre order some online to take advantage of free shipping but I am a procrastinator. It is a whole lot cheaper then going to the dealer for sure "especially" for the cabin filter.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Hi -

Just wanted to share that there are oil suction tools out there that work very well. I use a product named the top-sider. Pretty sure I got it from West Marine (most smaller power boats are impossible to get to a drainplug, so this is how you drain their oil). Very heavy duty metal device with a tube that goes into what normally is the dip-stick tube.You pump it up 2 or 3 timesand it does the work while you change the oil and air filters. Takes about 5-7 minutes and you are ready to re-add your Mobil-1.

Now there is always that discussion about not getting the 'bottom of the well' and any of the sediment out of the oil pan, and I am not qualified to speak to that.I justfigure if this is the way the MB garage does it, it's good enough for me too!

Regards

Bassmith

Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 AM

bassmith>Yes, the internet is full of posts regarding using the Topsider to change oil. Surprisingly enough, there are many posts from people who claim it's as good as pulling the drain plug as far as the "sediment" in the bottom of the oil pan goes. I guess I just like crawling under the car, removing the belly pans, and getting the back of my t-shirt dirty. This gives me a chance to look at everything under there for possible leaks, etc. It must be the "mechanic" in me.

Quick Reply: Okay... jokes on me... mercedez oil change...?