Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Oil Filters and extractors

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Default Oil Filters and extractors

Can anyone tell me if I need any special tools to get an oil filter off of a 1998 C280. I am buying the sucker to get the oil out through the dipstick, but I don't know about getting the oil filter off. Also does anybody know of any drawbacks of using one of these oil extractors. Thanks

Old 09-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Default RE: Oil Filters and extractors

I assume your filter is mounted on the top of your enginer go to www.samstagsales.com or call them at 615 735 3318. I bought my MB oil filter tool from them. It is fits over the top of the fiter mount and has two screws to hold it in place. There you need either a 17mm or 19mm socket wrench to loosen, forget. You have a fiber filter inside, around $18.00 at your dealer, I have never found one aftermarket. Also there are three rubber gasket include the fit on the stem of the cover and should be replaced wiith the filter. The filter is pushed on to the stem Oil the stem a bit as it takes a bit of turn and pushing to get it on, but not too hard as the fiter is fiber. If Sanstag doesn't carry the oil filter tool, try eBay I've seen a lot of them on auction over the years.

Also here is another company that carries speciales tools for Mercedes and other foreign ZDMark Tools 877 938 6657 or www.sirtools.com, I don't remember what the tool cost, but it is much cheaper then the dealer. Also take the plastic engine cover off and take off the filter before you pump the oil out. it makes the job much quicker.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:15 PM

I still believe in draining from below as sediments and sludge tend to settle down there. How are you gonna suck them from top?

Old 09-04-2005, 02:50 PM

As I daid I have every don't suck the oil out for everychange. I had the oild changed last week and had it drained this time, come the next change which I do evry 6K and weather and my back permitting I will drain it from the dipstick tube, as long as you warm up the engine slightly you will get most of the sludge out

Old 09-04-2005, 03:06 PM

I'm with fly_major_fly on this one !

The reason the dealers do it is because it takes less time, and as we all know, time is money. This does NOT means it's better !

Let's face it, the dipstick tube does not reach the most bottom part of the pan. So when you siphon the oil out, your not even getting ALL of the oil out. You are therefore leaving some of the old oil in there along with sediments etc...

The drain plug is generally located in the bottom most part of the pan. This allows you to get damn near everything out ! including the sediments etc..

Personally, I would never siphon the oil out of my vehicles. When I do an oil change it gives me the opportunity to check everything else while I'm down there.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:07 PM

As I said I have the oil changed via the plug every 3rd or so oil, Also, with the new syn oils, sludge buildup is not a hugh problem these days, Also need breaths invention and being handicapped and can't lay on my back.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:51 PM

I agree with wizturd, finally. Synthetic = no sludge. If you drain every third or fourth change and you use synthetic, there shouldn't be a problem.

I would drain the first two or three times for a new engine. I think that's where MB may be dropping the ball.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:37 PM

I just purchased a 1995 C280 and found a small leak in the timing cover gasket (detected from below). The dealer never found it because they always siphoned the oil out of the top. Is it easy to replace the oil filter? Also, I was told that because the car has been running on conventional 15W40, that I should stick with that. What do you guys think of going to synthetic? If so, what weight? Thanks for your expertise.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:18 PM

Change to synthetic if you want. Some people will say you shouldn't switch because it will leak. Don't listen to them. It's not true.

Look in your manual for which weight to use.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:25 PM

I also agree with you for once, it is a myth that syn will leak more the dino oil, Ba Humbug, if you have a leak get it fixed is always good?

LUGNUT How easy is it to get at it once the cover is off. I have sleepwalker pics of the fuel pump and I assume the larger canister is the filter. Also is there only 1, I've been told there is another on under the hood, dammed if I can find it?

Quick Reply: Oil Filters and extractors