Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Default Oil Changes?

I want to get some insight into the correct mileage on oil changes. Since we use synthetic oil, is it safe to change the oil every 7000 miles or 3000 miles? Ive heard from several people that 7000 should be the correct mileage for synthetic. Im not sure what Mercedes recommends but I am curious. My car seems to be set at 3000 mile intervals.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 AM

What would you say in reference to oil changes and type of oil to be used in a 2000 C-280?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks! The Benz I am asking about is a 2008 C350 Sport. Im due for a 40000 mile check on the vehicle. I spoke with the Mercedes service department and i was informed of a thorough checkup at 40000 where all filters are changed, transmission flush, brake system flush and many other checks. All for a pretty hefty price of 1200.00 dollars. Sounds like alot of money but Im sure its worth it. I can get oil changes done at a different service station other than a dealership for half the price. I wanted to be sure how long these intervals would be on a synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 which I plan on using, especially at 120.00 per oil change and the amount of driving I do.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 03-24-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: -spam
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM

What data do you have to suggest that changing your oil at 7K vs 10K actual increases engine wear?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM

I understand now, the manufacturer suggests that inerval. I now remember reading the article on how MB completely changed the functioning of the internal combustion engine. Where the my 2005 with 5K service interval doesn't have the superfunctioning keneutor valve that lets it go 10K between service intervals (sarcasm if you didn't pick up on it).
Just playing

Just b/c the manufacturer suggests is doesn't mean its always the right thing to do. I think the 5K interval is a safer and more realistic approach unless you drive a lot of miles. Remember you don't change your synthetic oil b/c the oil itself goes bad, you change it because of the contamination (soot, metal particles, fuel mix, etc.)

Thats just my opinion.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Do you have any scientific or real-world based information to back up that claim, or is it just your opinion?

That is false information.
The oil is changed because the additive package is depleted. Soot is only one condition to monitor.
It is an opinion, that is why I prefaced with I think. I prefer to be cautious. Remember I challenged your statement first, and my statements were stated as opinion not fact with the exception of the following.

Contamination is the primary reason we change our oil.

Lets go first with your statment being true. If we change our oil purely b/c of the degradation of the additive package then oil changes would be based on oil manufacture recomendation vs vehicle manufacture. Or do you have scientific data?

We do change our oils because of break down, that is why yearly oil changes are suggested.

Yes, Soot is only one condition to monitor, good observation. That is why I listed multiple conditions, and there are others.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM

I have an 04 C230K and MB recommended every 10K miles but I do mine every 5K miles. I do a lot of city driving so that is why. Honestly the cleaner the oil the longer the engine will last. So longer you wait the dirtier the oil. Just my opinion but I have worked on cars all my life.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Talking

Well I think that is a matter of opinion and driving condition to be honest with you. Proven fact clean oil is best for your car. Think about this....people that don't change their oil or wait for long periods of time, have deposits and sludge build up in their motors, which leads to smoke from exhaust. I'm sorry but the cleaner the oil the better your car runs and last. Just proven my man. Why do you think we CHANGE OUR OIL??!! Common sense. I also don't think that changing your oil at 5K intervals for city driving is "changing your oil early"

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Then why do we even change our oil silly man??? Have a good day!!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM

Don't waste your money! For fully Synethic oils 6,000 to 7,000 miles would be good enough.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes?