Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Default Oil Change

How often does one take in their mercedes for an oil change? I've never owned a benz but I know for other cars it's every 3 months or 3,000 miles. I was told it's every 12,000 miles for a m-benz.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Oil Change

It does not matter what brand of a car it is.

It has to do with what type of oil was in the car.

Regular fossil oil is good for 3,000 miles.

Synthetic oil (does not easily break down into sludge) is good for 10,000 miles.

That's all the story is.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:43 AM

I agree. I use Mobil1 0-40

Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 AM

I just changed my oil for the first time last night (the computer on the car notified me that I had gone 6000 miles). My question has to do with how the filter is positioned. Do I need to prime the filter? By the way I have a 2001 C240. With the filter on top of the engine instead of the bottom like most cars I am affraid that I could cause damage since the oil has to make its way back up to the top of the engine to hit the filter. My thinking is that the engine is running on no oil for that time as well as possilbe getting an air bubble floating through the system.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:56 PM

we've been using the factory specified M1 0W40 in our '02 E wagon. That's all it's ever had since Day 1. I took an oil sample at 10k miles and it looked very good. FSS suggested car could have traveled another 5,700 miles prior to change. UOA backed up that claim though I'll continue to change at 10k miles or thereabouts.

Everyones' situation is a little different - - our car is never used on short trips and it is driven about 400 miles/week and doing very well!

YMMV

Old 02-02-2006, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Ghost240

With the filter on top of the engine instead of the bottom like most cars I am affraid that I could cause damage since the oil has to make its way back up to the top of the engine to hit the filter. My thinking is that the engine is running on no oil for that time as well as possilbe getting an air bubble floating through the system.
Man....u r krazzzzzy. What do you mean by engine is running on no oil for that time? Air bubbles floating through the system? You teach quantum mechanics or something?

Here is an answer you may fancy. If you want to lube the engine very well with new oil before you fire it up, first let the car sit for half a day. In the mean time, you give it a good shake from time to time. Then put the car in DRIVE without starting the motor. Raise the car high enough so wheels can turn. Now go turn the rear wheels. Pistons should now go up and down without any combustion.

Another way is -- you disable the fuel supply and then crank/start. So the engine will never fire up (no high revs so to speak).

These two methods will lubricate your engine with new oil without firing up.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:41 PM

I change the oil in my 99 C280, every 5K or 6 months whichever comes first I use 5W/40 Mobil One. on my 450SLC every 6K times or 3 times a year whichever comes first I use 5/40 Mobil dino oil.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 PM

The pistons won't move if you lift the car and turn the rear wheels while the trans is in Drive. I hope the monkeyman was just poking fun at you. He likes to make smart *** remarks without helping.

You don't have to worry about M-B engines with the filter on top. The oil gets around just fine. Just like any other engine, the oil drains into the oil sump (or pan) when it's not running. When you start it, you need to wait for the oil to circulate. How long depends on how long it's sat. You'll notice some ticking when you've let it sit for a long period. It's ticking because there's not enough oil circulating yet.

There's air in all engines co-existing with the oil. You didn't think it was airtight and air-free in there, did you? The dip stick tube is just a tube poking into the oil sump. Air can go in there. The pickup for the oil pump is beneath the oil level in the oil sump. That's why it's important to keep the oil level up to specs. If air got into the oil pump line, it would get it from the sump because the oil level is too low, not from the filter housing.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Mine goes 10k miles before it says I should take it in for a service and oil change.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:22 PM

I like your explanation, tickled me pink,

I wounder if he did do what you suggested?

ORIGINAL: fly_major_fly

ORIGINAL: Ghost240

With the filter on top of the engine instead of the bottom like most cars I am affraid that I could cause damage since the oil has to make its way back up to the top of the engine to hit the filter. My thinking is that the engine is running on no oil for that time as well as possilbe getting an air bubble floating through the system.
Man....u r krazzzzzy. What do you mean by engine is running on no oil for that time? Air bubbles floating through the system? You teach quantum mechanics or something?

Here is an answer you may fancy. If you want to lube the engine very well with new oil before you fire it up, first let the car sit for half a day. In the mean time, you give it a good shake from time to time. Then put the car in DRIVE without starting the motor. Raise the car high enough so wheels can turn. Now go turn the rear wheels. Pistons should now go up and down without any combustion.

Another way is -- you disable the fuel supply and then crank/start. So the engine will never fire up (no high revs so to speak).

These two methods will lubricate your engine with new oil without firing up.

Quick Reply: Oil Change